Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was this style of relay ever used on Cougars?

When I bought my car in '87, this is what was on it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
No,the small terminals come off to the side on earlier Ford ones.....you probably don't use the bottom terminal on your '87 vehicle.....

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I have seen the heavy duty solenoid like that on 1969-70 convertibles with power windows. Not sure if original though. Common on Lincolns, Thunderbirds, pickups, etc.

That solenoid can have either a C7.., C9.., or D2?... part numbers on the metal base.

One of those came on my 1968 Cougar too, but it is not original to my car. The seller said that he put the heavy duty solenoids on all of his Fords.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That makes sense that it's heavier duty I guess....it's the same on on my 98 truck w/power windows....either way I bet it would work just fine in most anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is a replacement for an alternate solenoid found occasionally on 1969-70 Cougars
and Mustangs. An original will have a Ford part number stamped in the base. The
installation is documented in the 1970 Electrical assembly manual, Page EO-115-1.

I have one from a 1969 Cougar 351, marked C7AF-11450-A3, date code 9AC. These are
highly prized by Mustang folks who believe they only came on 428CJ and B302 cars.
No such designation is made in the manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts