Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of "original style" radiator hoses for my '70 Cougar 351W from one of the Cougar vendors. These are the ones with the Autolite part number and include the clamps. Very nice looking item, but the lower hose is slightly different in shape from the one that came off the car, and the radiator end has a diameter that is too large to grip the radiator outlet. I have a new radiator from O'Reilly, and the outlet is the same diameter as the old radiator that was in the car. The upper hose fits great.
Has anyone else experienced problems with lower hose fitment? I don't know if the "cheapy" radiators are the problem or if these remanufactured hoses are not quite right. Current plan is to take the old hose back to Houston with me and see if I can find a suitable replacement, but if anyone has already solved this I'd love to know how so I can save some time.
Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
913 Posts
Could it be that the hose was stamped upside down and the end that is larger goes to the water pump, just a guess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be that the hose was stamped upside down and the end that is larger goes to the water pump, just a guess.
I thought that too, but it doesn't seem to fit the other way either. It is a slightly different shape than the old one, but looks like the picture in the catalog.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I bought a set of "original style" radiator hoses for my '70 Cougar 351W from one of the Cougar vendors. These are the ones with the Autolite part number and include the clamps. Very nice looking item, but the lower hose is slightly different in shape from the one that came off the car, and the radiator end has a diameter that is too large to grip the radiator outlet. I have a new radiator from O'Reilly, and the outlet is the same diameter as the old radiator that was in the car. The upper hose fits great.
Has anyone else experienced problems with lower hose fitment? I don't know if the "cheapy" radiators are the problem or if these remanufactured hoses are not quite right. Current plan is to take the old hose back to Houston with me and see if I can find a suitable replacement, but if anyone has already solved this I'd love to know how so I can save some time.
Thanks!
Jeff
I had this exact problem with my original Cougar, a '70 with a 351C that had been hit in the front and the front clip (and radiator I assume) was replaced with a '69. The lower outlet was too small for the hose. What I did was take a piece from a smaller hose (that did fit the lower outlet) and use it as a sleeve to make the lower outlet bigger to fit the larger hose. I ran it this way for probably 20 years without issue.

Or, you could have a radiator shop put a larger lower outlet in the radiator.

My method is cheap and easy.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like that idea, Bob, thanks! I'll probably go for it. Or maybe I'll check what a '69 hose looks like.
Either way, thanks for the tip.
Jeff

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Bob, I hooked it up using your method and it fits fine! Hoping to fill it tomorrow and maybe even test fire the engine.
Thanks again!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My pleasure Jeff!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts