Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I´ve recently encountered no pressure at my radiator hoses, so I bought a new radiator cap and wasted the old one. Unfortunately the new one does not fit propperly. The pressure-relief valve is moving upwords but not far enough to free the the water/steam exit to spill into the overflow canister.

Saturday the pressure in my cooling system was that high that the gasket of my waterpump broke and the system is leaking now.

Does anyone ever purchase a correct radiator cap that works with the stock Cougar overflow canister system ?!

Mike (desperate)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Shouldn't be hard to find....any parts store will have one I would think. Just your basic 15lb old style Stanton cap. Don' tget one of those pressure relief types though! (not sure they still sell them..?)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks bad69cat. Just to get more into details:

With this one steam and water does not exit into the canister but splatters all around the engie bay: Radiator cap OEM style

I swapped it with a standard Mustang cap which was pretty close ... even to close so the gasket of my waterpump broke.

Mike

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL sorry I didn't realize you were from Germany! You probably don't have an american auto parts store on every corner. ;>) Sounds like you got one anyway.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just wondering if anyone ever purchase an aftermarket radiator cap that worked in conjunction with the stock overflow/compensation canister and if yes which one and where ?!

Thanks !

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Mike,

The stock type cap merely allows excess coolant (due to expansion) to escape out the overflow nipple on the radiator. Stock back then did not have a tank. Many people (myself included) add a tank so that coolant does not end up on the ground. If you want the type that allows a sealed tank and the radiator to exchange coolant as they need to, that is a different cap altogether and I do not have anything for you on that. A stock cap should vent at it's rated pressure to whatever is connected to the nipple (but what is connected needs to be vented as opposed to sealed).

Now, BadCat, what is wrogn with the lever vent type of cap? I prefer them myself and am running a Motorcraft one. Obviously, they allow relieve pressure from the radiator when needed if you want to take the cap off when hot or whatever. Wonderign what you don't like about them. I have a chrome OEM style one, but it is in a box somewhere.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bob - just to make sure I get everything correct - my 68 Cougar was originally not shipped with that tank ?!

At which pressure does your cap "open" the overflow nipple ?! 13lbs or 16lbs ?!

Maybe my pump gasket was broken before - I am even not sure it is the gasket as I can´t see it without removing parts. I just filled up the radiator while engine was off and cold and there was a significant ammount of water pouring from somewhere above on the balancer. Again - with no pressure and engine off.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I know more about 69/70, but I do not think there was a factory overflow tank on 67/68 either. I do not know at what pressure exactly the cap opens, but would guess/assume rated pressure. Either of the numbers/pressures you mention should not be a problem. I think you are probably on the right track that the water pump leak may not be related.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, I have a complete gasket kit and will remove the pump this week ... we´ll see ...

Thanks Bob and BadCat

Mike

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You just haven't had one that liked to leak around the levers stem yet Bob.....once you get a few miles under her hood.....you might carry a spare just in case. I haven't had the need to open a hot one unless it was leaking, and even then I'd let it cool down before hand....the 1/4 turn trick seems to work most times - but I wouldn't risk it. (The only advantage the lever type has)

By the way Mike, it's always a good idea to have an overflow can. Not only is it better for the environment but it lets you know how well you cooling system is performing. I doubt your water pump was related, but who knows. Make sure to check the bearing out on it when you get it off, it should turn with ever so slight of a resistance, if it doesn't I'd look at replacing it if it spins to freely.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its the waterpump ... water is draining out of the small hole at the backside. The hole is probably for cooling the shaft - looks like the rotary shaft seal is worn :-(

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts