Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new fuel pump from NAPA over lunch break this afternoon. Staring at this thing sitting on my desk it just doesn't look right-- there are three ports or tubes on the bottom instead of two. One is a threaded female compression type port which I presume is the outlet to the carbs. The other two are male hose type tube shaped thingies, one of which, I presume must be for fuel in from the tank. What would the third one be for? :confused:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I work for NAPA and have a 68 j code. what number part did they give you?? the one I bought from NAPA had one inlet and one outlet. that you have doesn't sound right and may be for a new 302 engine. with a return hose to the tank.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The number on the box is M6588.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The number on the box is M6588.
Take it back to NAPA and try again. Part number is correct, but wrong part in the box you received. Once you get the proper fuel pump, only issue you'll have is the 3/8" inlet fitting. You'll need to use some non-petroleum-based lubricant in order to get the 5/16" hose onto the 3/8" inlet fitting.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I looked at that part number on NAPA's website and the one I have looks completely different from what is pictured for that part number. I'll try again today at lunchtime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts