1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please help once and for all in giving the correct
67-68 Mercury engine color. There are so many cougar engines
painted the "light Ford Blue" (which is I believe the same color
of Ford farm tractor blue of the same era). That is the color of the engine and air intake of my 67 coupe. We have owned it since
1974 and has never been painted by me. However, in the process
of cleaning and sanding the air cleaner intake parts I am finding
the darker Ford blue under the light blue. Is this the Corporate Ford Blue? Was this the original color? I did not think so as I did not think the engine
was ever painted by anyone but at the factory, could be wrong!
Should I repaint the Ford tractor blue or does it really matter?
I would like to be as original as possible with something as easy
as paint color. Any help would be appeciated.

:1zhelp:

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
According to TCCN:
"For 1967-1973 Cougars, all engines were painted entirely Dark Corporate Blue. The specific components painted this color include the engine block, intake manifold, thermostat housing, water pump assembly, timing chain cover, oil pan, oil dipstick tube, oil dipstick handle."
My 67 289 was light blue as well from the factory, but I went dark blue with my new engine, because I think it is much better looking than bright blue.
I would paint it dark "corporate" blue like this:

Attachments

·
11,000 Posts
As the paint ages it fades giving the impression that it was originally light blue. The engines were originally Ford Corporate Dark Blue. From time to time NOS (new old stock) air cleaners and snorkles come up for sale and they are all definitely Ford Corporate Dark Blue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot Royce and xr7gt (love the painted 289). OK then. I will put away my cans of Ford farm equipment blue paint (we have Ford farm equipment) and go and get some of that Ford Corporate darker
blue color. It is interesting that the paint faded over the years
to match the light blue farm color.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
the "lost and forgotten" years :) :) :)

·
11,000 Posts
Ford light blue is correct for the 1963-65 260, maybe something else from that period. All Ford engines from 1966 thru around 1981 were Ford Corporate Dark Blue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts