Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Mr. Rush has already chastised me for asking Mustang questions on the Cougar forums, but the company is more rareified here!

I've got a customer way far away trying to sort out his fuel line from pump to carb on an S-Code 68. It's the Scott Drake item for a 68 390 4V. He says it doesn't come close to fitting at either end. We've quickly determined that his carb has a Mr. Gasket fuel rail on it. I'm thinking that it's likely he has an aftermarket fuel pump, too. Lacking access to a properly assembled 68 with a 390, I can't send him photos of the correct carb and fuel line setup. Does anyone reading this have some decent shots that would help the guy?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
AFAIK repop fuel lines are manufactured by either Classic Tube or Fine Lines.
They are 'supposedly' copied from originals. Originals lines fit 'vintage' Carter button top fuel pumps as installed on S code engines in 1968, and Vintage Holley 4150 carburetors, sitting on Ford intake manifolds, with correct carburetor spacers. Reproduction lines need to me 'massaged' even to fit correct carburetors on factory intake manifolds. We had to tweak the repop line to get it to fit onto Don's R code ragtop from the video. (has replacement AC brand fuel pump, but everything else is original)

Carter still makes fuel pumps for 390 engines, but they have gone through many changes and the pressure fitting is indexed differently.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts