Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 72 351C 2V on the road this year after 14 years. During first few short trips the temp gauge would go to Max then with some easy driving come back some.
Decided to fix it "right". Bought one of the aluminum restrictors with the hole from WCCC along with a standard stat as they recommend. My radiator had been out last year and had a small leak repaired and had it cleaned by the shop that did the repair. All heater and radiator hoses are brand new. Lower hose has a spring in it. When I did open it up I found I did have the brass restrictor under the stat, but it was not a 351C type stat. Felt good, as for sure I found the problem.

I was very careful removing the old coolant before doing anything. My county recycles it for free, so that's easy. What I found was even completely removing the lower radiator hose I could only get 8 quarts out! I thought removing the hose was almost as good as removing block plugs. So does my block hold 7 1/2 quarts, or was I that short even though radiator and overflow can were full? I guess I will now attempt to remove block plugs soon. Was trying to avoid that as I understand in a car that has never had them out it is a bear of a job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this was 4 weeks ago, but to answer your question, No. It holds more. You have only drained the heads and block down to the timing cover block holes level. about 3" down from the top. Still lots left in the block. Those plugs are a pain in the butt useless they come out easy. Otherwise you could end up with a lot of headache trying to get them back in again. They may have rusted to the point of no return. Where you'd have to maybe redrill and tape them out again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have garage head room to pull the engine if it turned into a disaster, and my HOA definitely wouldn’t like me doing it in the driveway of my Townhouse, so I ended up taking it to my mechanic and he flushed and reversed flushed for probably a good half hour before the water finally stayed clear. Did about 90 minutes at 75 on an 85 degree day last weekend and stayed mid gauge. Could never have done that before. Running WCCC Cleveland aluminum restrictor plate and new 180 non-C stat as they recommended. Moved on to chasing source of radio static next.

·
Registered
27 Posts
HOAs can get a little pissy about that. Nothing wrong with that now a days. Not like the old days where you could just drain it out into the street and wash it down the storm drain. Best thing is to take it to someone that has the tools and talent to fix it right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts