Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing/as well as wanting to replace my stock radiator and water pump. The radiator looks pretty nasty inside, and it leaks in 4 places when it gets hot enough. I'm pretty sure it is a 2-row. I am wanting to replace it with at least a 3-row aluminum, or should I go with a 4-row? I also thought about the trans cooler, can I get a radiator that I can hook up to the trans cooler lines? Or should I get a separate radiator for it? As far as the water pump, it is running fine, but I have read that a hi flow pump (such as from Stewarts) would be better for cooling.
I don't have a fan shroud right now, and it has a flex fan on it as well. Came that way when I bought last spring. I know a clutch fan and a shroud would help, but I need the radiator at least before spring as I will driving it everyday.
I am also wanting to get an Edelbrock Performer/RPM intake this summer. Should this be a consideration for the water pump? I wouldn't think so, but thought I'd ask.
Just filed my taxes last night electronically, so it is already burning a hole in my pocket. :) Thanks guys!

·
11,000 Posts
The original radiator for your car was a 3 row equipped with a fan shroud and clutch fan. The same setup was used on the 427 and 428 engines in 1968.

I recommend you get either a 4 core brass radiator from one of the Cougar vendors or a 2 core aluminum from Be-Cool , Howe or one of the other custom aluminum radiator shops.

Either way you need a shroud or it just won't stay cool. Flex fans cool as well as clutch fans but rob power at higher RPM's.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
As for the trans cooler, I've always felt that an auxiliary trans cooler works best. I've also heard of people plumbing the tranny lines through both the radiator AND the external cooler to aid in cooling. I don't have mine that way though.

My opinion is that the radiator works best just cooling the engine and the trans cooler works best just cooling the trans.

Mark

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. As for the water pump, has anyone had any experience with Stewart's pumps? Good/Bad? Any other recommendations for water pumps?

·
Registered
763 Posts
It's the best idea to put a four row in it, yes, without the fan shrould it's useless. And while i did all this, i even placed an engine oil cooler. You know what they say, HEAT KILLS ENGINES

·
Registered
614 Posts
Does anyone know for a fact if the B&M supercooler design is better than a standard tube fin design? Reason I'm asking, is because their higher rated coolers are smaller than standard. Please let me know.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have heard that the B&M Super Cooler is better from people in the tbird forum for late model birds. they have a flat tube design and are supposed to be more resistant to road desbris damage.
And any shrould is better than none. my 2¢
(¢= "hold down "alt" key and press 411 on the 10 key")

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/cooler.html

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The B&M Super coolers are smaller but cool more efficiently than the larger tube and fin type. The only 'problem' with the flat plate-type coolers is that they will plug up with debris/goo if you are running dirty fluid or have fluid/water contamination. Heck, Ford uses the B&M-type flat coolers from the factory on the HD cooling / Tow package cars and trucks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, ok then. I'm looking to trash the converted AC condensor hanging off the front. Big mutha, and I'm not so sure it works all that well anyway.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re. transmission coolers I read somewhere that the trans both dislikes being too hot and too cold and that it is recommended to run the line from the trans through the new external cooler and then through the cooling part in the normal radiator so that any excessive cooling is undone in the normal radiator and vice verse.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will follow everyones advice once it warms up here in Indiana...and stays warm. It is 16 degrees right now. Supposed to be 55 on Sunday, but that's Indiana weather for ya.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
My vote is cast for getting the original rad rebuilt at a rad shop for a couple hundred bux and get rid of that flex fan if its aftermarket and make sure the correct spacer is used when you either return the original four bladed fan or get a Ford Flex fan from mid 70s which fills the shroud if you have one. I think its 18" fan for 390 and 17" for 351. Unsure what 302s got. I have Ford Flexs and original four blades. I can get fan and clutch new. Use email tab below for pricing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts