Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my AC fixed and I don’t think it is working right, the air comes out cool not cold, is this normal? The compressor gets cold. There is also a lot of belt chatter so much that after a little time using the AC it throws the belt off. The belt goes around the crank pulley, an idler pulley and the compressor.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
You've definately got something wrong, head back to whoever did the work and have 'em fix it...

If it's an original R12 compressor, those things shoot ICE out the vents when rebuilt and installed properly.

If your skin don't turn blue within a minute, it's wrong. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heater control valve

The tec Tells me when he manually pulls on the heater control valve the air starts to come out cold. My question is, couldthis be possible and where could this valve be ? I think it is a vacuum operated vavle under the hood, on the water line going to the heater-core. It seems to work for to me.

He also told me that there can be nothing done about the belt chatter. Is that true?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I don't know about the valve, but on the Compressor... Ask yourself a question. Did the belts chatter and fly off from the factory? Of course not, therefore, he better figure out how to fix it.

Hopefully one of the guys here will offer advice, otherwise, contact one of the Cougar Vendors to get more specific advice.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
As for the heater control valve, its completly possible that what he is telling you is correct. Its job is to shut off the hot water going to the heater box. Your correct that it is a vacume operated valve under the hood that is just off the firewall inline on one of the heater hoses. After time the valve can corrode and hang in the open position. The good news is it a inexpensive, easy fix.

As for the compressor chattering and throwing belts, I would check the idler pully bearing to make sure its not going out. Just take the belt off and give it a spin. It should spin quietly and smoothly. Grab it and pull it back and forth and see if any side play is present. If its bad its another easy fix.

If its the compressor itself chattering than thats another story, and not a good one. The one in my truck just started doing the same thing and to me thats a sign that its getting ready to take a sh**t, but I dont think that it is the reason that it would throw a belt unless it is occasionaly locking up.

I've been wanting to get my under hood a/c parts back on my Cougar and have found out that the compressor is available through most any auto parts, rebuilt for a little over $100. mm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts