Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 cougar with glue in windows. I fixed the passenger side one shortly after I got the car in 2008, it took me 3 tries to get it done somewhat right. My windows rattle, are hard to crank up and have a bad wind noise at speed. Would the bolt in style window give me any relief of the aforementioned problems I'm having or would it be a total waste of time and money? I thought about going electric but decided to keep my manual roll ups. If anyone here has done this conversion can you please give me some details as to who offers a good bolt in kit. Thanks, Martin.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You'll need both the windows and regulators from a late '70 (Some early '70s still had glue-in glass). Also remember that the window weatherstrip is different between the two styles. One style attaches to the rear of the door glass, and the other attaches to the quarter glass... See? It is more involved than you think!!!!

My wife's early '70 Mustang has glue-in glass. I've fixed both sides already...

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I don't know that onyone offers a complete "kit" but if anyone does it would be Don at WCCC.

Side glass has a lot of adjustable factors and all that needs to be properly done to get the glass to fit correctly and make a nice seal when closed.
The "hard to crank up" could be alignment as well as dirt and grime gumming it all up.

Swapping out 69 glass for 70 avoids the glue in scenario but not all the other needed attention.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
You also need to do the 1/4 windows if going to 1970 late bolt-in version. They should never come unglued if you you our 3M channel bond.

<table id="Contents Table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1969 - 1970 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang Side Window Channel Bonding Adhesive - New
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: 10022242
Price:$22.85

3M brand two part channel bonding adhesive for gluing in the 1969 (and very early 1970) door side glass
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
And I'd like to add (as Don Rush suggested but I wouldn't listen), that using 69 door glass weatherstrip with the '70 glass pieces does NOT work, almost, but not. I did my damnedest to make it work, but the glass/trim in the door would ride up against both the back of the opening in the door shell and the door weatherstrip (which I trimmed trying to mitigate this). Even with my efforts, the door glass weatherstrip on the PS ripped from interference (at Carlisle AFN, no less!). In the end (now) I switched to the '70 weatherstrip that goes on the quarter glass (and have to change the GD door weatherstrips because I trimmed them!). '70 glass, '70 weatherstrip. The '70 weatherstrip is much more substantial, better looking trim and I suspect it will seal better.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
237 Posts
70 glass is the best way to go. I've had no problems since my conversion but I also had a 70 parts car at the time to make it easier.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a complete set of 70 bolt in glass (factory tint) and all the necessory hardware, regulators, latches, etc. Everything is from a low mileage car that was in storage since 1974 (motor blew up). I'm not going to use it. Whats this stuff worth? How do you ship glass? If anyone is interested, let me know, Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I have a complete set of 70 bolt in glass (factory tint) and all the necessory hardware, regulators, latches, etc. Everything is from a low mileage car that was in storage since 1974 (motor blew up). I'm not going to use it. Whats this stuff worth? How do you ship glass? If anyone is interested, let me know, Thanks
Glass (tempered) is easy to ship. Just go get some big slabs of flat cardboard (like flattened appliance boxes) cut the slabs 3" wider than the glass itself, lay down one door glass flat, roll it twice, lay down the other and roll it four more times, slather the ends in tape and go. The hdw and 1/4 glass goes in another box. If you have four pieces of glass and you have to look hard and long to find the smallest of scratches then a set is worth $500-$600 all day long. If... there is not even the slightest hint of a scratch anywhere and all four pieces are date code matched to what the customer needs then the set is worth significantly more. Keep in mind the edges of tempered glass is what is most vulnerable.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I changed my side windows to bolt-in style 25 years ago. All four windows need to be changed, otherwise the door glass will hit the quarter windows.

I kept the original 69 regulators in the doors and have had no problems. Why does everyone who recommends this conversion say the regulators need to be changed?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I need to figure out what is causing mine to stick when going up. I don't want to replace my quarters, they were custom etched with Roses, and my wife loves em.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd just glue it back in with modern adhesives and call it a day....I don't think you would have any troubles with the 3M stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts