Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you Convertible owners out there.
I just picked up my new 69 standard convertable 351 4v. It has a good top and a folding glass back window. The only problem is that the window hinge (where it folds) is worn out. Right now it is being held together by universal fixing adhesive strips (duct tape) :p:

I have looked on several web sites and have been unable to locate a replacement part for this. They sell the full window but the glass is fine only the folding part is broken.

Anyone have a source or way to fix this??

Thanks
-- JIm

PS. I will be uploading some pix soon.

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
You may want to check out www.autotops.com This is where I just ordered a new top for my wife's car and they were VERY helpful. If they don't show the hinge seperatly, give them a call.
Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
448 Posts
top seam

Jim,
I fixed mine using the "silicone" method. One of the Yahoo Couhar listserve guys sent me a set of directions, and drawings to make it easy. It worked really well and two years later it is still in pretty good shape. I think I still have copy of the directions around here somewhere. Contact me off forum if you ned them.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
resurrecting this old thread..... I need to fix mine before winter... Any body got a good source for the silicon tape or have directons to repair the hinge so it doesn't look like poop? I don't want to buy a new glass either just fix the hinge...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the instructions somewhere I will try to find them and get you a copy. The silicone itself can be found in any hardware store I believe. All you need to do is get the clear type. When I did mine I did not do the best job. I need to redo this again and am attempting to find a little better way to keep the silicone in a nice bead so it looks nice.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Contact me

texrep said:
resurrecting this old thread..... I need to fix mine before winter... Any body got a good source for the silicon tape or have directons to repair the hinge so it doesn't look like poop? I don't want to buy a new glass either just fix the hinge...
Tex,

Give me a call on my cell phone. 609-923-7892

I did the silicone repair and it is still holding up pretty good almost 5 years later. It is a little too involved to try to type it all in a message. Give me a call after 5 pm on the number above and I'll give you the instructions over the phone.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
cool Paul... will do

·
Registered
57 Posts
convertible rear window

I currently have a problem with my rear fold seal. If anyone can help with how to fix it I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
341 Posts
convertible rear window hinge

ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE INSTRUCTIONS TO POST ON HOW TO REPAIR THE SILCONE HINGE????

tHANKS IN ADVANCE
tODD:badass:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts