Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see lots of post's on how to change the cylinders out, but has anyone tried to rebuild them?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Being the ECI, you KNOW I have thought about the same thing (and searched as well). The cylinders do not come apart, but on the originals there is a snap ring that holds the seal in place. However, I do not see that seal going over the eyelet on the end of the rod, nor a new seal back over it, do you?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your correct the seal will not go over the bolt eye, I wonder if the cylinder was threaded? how else would they have gotten the piston into the barrel.....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Your correct the seal will not go over the bolt eye, I wonder if the cylinder was threaded? how else would they have gotten the piston into the barrel.....
I think there is a seam weld at the bottom of the top part of the cylinder (where the pins go into the sides) which joins the top to the cylinder. I don't think you meant this, but perhaps the inside end of the piston rod is threaded so it could be unthreaded from the piston and pulled out, but how would you get the piston to stay still while you unscrewed the rod?

In any case, I was unable to find any mention of a replacement seal for these type of cylinders in my search.

If you find anything different, I would love to hear about it.

I think you will find that these are a remove and replace item. Around $100 each would be considered good pricing on them.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I looked at getting my old ones rebuilt at a hydraulic shop a few years ago. They said that they were not rebuildable because of the way they were manufactured. They were meant to be a throw away part. (I did not like that answer either, but I knew and trusted the guy)

I bought mine from Convertible Service (Convertibleparts.com) <!-- m -->http://www.convertibleparts.com/hydrauli.htm
(I also posted this on the other Cougar site that everyone seems to be migrating to)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts