Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hartz has ceased production of their double texture convertible top material. Hartz supplies everyone material including our supplier, EZ-on tops. Reason being is low demand. Why low demand when they only retail for about $50 more than single layer? Most companies like Scott Drake only want to carry one version so as to keep prices low and alleviate confusion. White tops (like what I need for my car) are gone for good... Black is going quick. Single texture is fine but has no rubber barrier which means it will leak when parked in the rain and can leak when you wash your car. Also, if you are doing a correct restoration nothing but double texture will do. If you want one, now is the time before the Mustang people get wind of this.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have an EZ-on top (from NPD) and it is top notch. Their tech support was good as well. As for the material going away, I'd be willing to bet this will not be the end, it will just be more money after all the wailing and knashing of teeth that is about to occur over this...

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an EZ-on top (from NPD) and it is top notch. Their tech support was good as well. As for the material going away, I'd be willing to bet this will not be the end, it will just be more money after all the wailing and knashing of teeth that is about to occur over this...
I am not sure about that. How many catalogs even show the double texture top? If they do not show both you can bet they are defaulting to single texture...

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I was going to wait a few more months on getting this top, but you just made me get off the fence and order now. (Thanks, I think...)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. My top is white. Let's say for example that I wanted to buy some 2 ply material now before it is gone, can I simply buy the material and just hold onto it until I want to use it? How much are we talking $$ wise to to this? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
see first post... "White tops (like what I need for my car) are gone for good... Black is going quick."

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Single texture is fine but has no rubber barrier which means it will leak when parked in the rain and can leak when you wash your car.
OK stupid question of the day. Why the hell would anyone produce a top that will leak and better still why would anyone buy it?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally have not seen the single texture leak but I have been told that if you leave your car outside all the time it will in time leak. Raise your hand if you park your convertible outside in the rain year round... The double texture has a layer of rubber sandwiched in between two layers of vinyl which gives the top a superior vapor barrier and a thicker feel. I will put single texture on my car and not get too upset because A) My car is not a show car. B) I do not park it outside in the rain for extended periods. C) On the upside your boot fits better because your thinner top folds tighter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the intel. My white top is pretty good on the outside, the inside has a little wear. I can't use my boot yet because my trim piece needs the screws put in that I haven't had time to put in yet. It won't stay down when the boot is pulling on it. I hope that down the road a double texture white material is available. It probably helps out with noise on those rare occasions the top is up as well.
I personally have not seen the single texture leak but I have been told that if you leave your car outside all the time it will in time leak. Raise your hand if you park your convertible outside in the rain year round... The double texture has a layer of rubber sandwiched in between two layers of vinyl which gives the top a superior vapor barrier and a thicker feel. I will put single texture on my car and not get too upset because A) My car is not a show car. B) I do not park it outside in the rain for extended periods. C) On the upside your boot fits better because your thinner top folds tighter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts