Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
That's sad. It does look like no one got hurt though.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
How did the fire start? Broken fuel line? Don't know if it's true, but I heard a lot of engine fires are caused by not using an air cleaner lid. A backfire happens, and with no lid, the fire gets out of control.

The chrome single exhaust looks funny.

·
Registered
759 Posts
That's a shame to see... hopefully he is fully insured. My son's 67 C20 went up in flames a couple months back. She's fixed now but the damage could have been much less with an extinguisher on board. There is now a fire extinguisher in all my rides now.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Amen, I have extinguishers scattered around the house/garage/boat/shed/cars like a paranoid doomsday freak! I've known to many people that have had car fires. (Even stopped to put one out a few years ago....) Back when I was young I almost had my cuda get burned up by an alternator wire that overheated and I didn't have anything but dirt/sand on the side of the road to put on it.......ever since then I have been cautious about it.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
I have a halon fire extinguisher in Isabel's trunk. A small investment to protect a big one...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+1 Halon is the best to go with if you can get it......they may not be around much longer though - got phased out in the 90's I believe

·
Registered
735 Posts
Was on the highway in the '80s in my '67 DGS when it all of a sudden burst into flames. Power steering hose burst and sprayed the hot engine with PS fluid.

Pulled over on the shoulder, popped the hood and seemed like every rubber part was on fire. An 18 wheeler going by slammed on his brakes and pulled over in front of me. The driver jumps out of the cab with an extinguisher, runs back to me and puts me out. I was just sooooo grateful to the guy. Gave him 20 bucks and I now like bad69cat I have extinguishers in every vehicle and scattered around the house and garage.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
this is why I am a bit anal on wiring. I have everything fused, relayed and or circuit breaker'd. I have finally found the right size fuse panel to fit under dash on the 69 and I will be using a through firewall bolt plate as well off a 89-93 tbird/cougar . I have relayed harnesses for the headlamps, a 140 amp mega fuse for the 130 amp alternator . trunk mounted battery with shut off in the valance panel , the eec harness has its own fuse panel with integrated relays as well . the new fuse panel is pre-terminated for 8 and has positions for 4 more fuses . I had determined that even though I have all the factory harnesses, I had to remove the glass fuse panel and add a bunch of circuits to it . good thing my friend and I know how to wire!.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
OMFG....That's a horrible image.
I've had a few vehicles catch fire over the years, the only one that had a happy ending was the very minor smoke from the after market fog lights I had installed on my first 69 Cougar...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
View attachment 61625 View attachment 61633

Pics for Hall of Shame , Chattanooga TN CL listing ,, now he needs a bunch of parts, man that's gotta suck.
Why would that be in the Hall of Shame? I thought that was for abandoned cars rotting in a field, or modified by someone with bad taste. Things like that. This is just a bad luck incident that happened to a very nice car.

(Car Craft?) early 1980s used to have "Summer Bummer" pictures. I like that term for these pictures.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
amen Larry - sad - but not shameful

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Does this mean that all the remaining '69 convertibles just went up in value?
I don't know about this in general for all remaining, but it did lower the value of that one. Unfortunately...

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why would that be in the Hall of Shame? I thought that was for abandoned cars rotting in a field, or modified by someone with bad taste. Things like that. This is just a bad luck incident that happened to a very nice car.

(Car Craft?) early 1980s used to have "Summer Bummer" pictures. I like that term for these pictures.
If you would look at the Hall of Shame pics ; you will see cars wrecked, burnt or burning as well. It's just a shame it happened but not shameful. There is a difference. Amen, come on. Don't be so conflictive.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts