Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of trying to track down a leak on my '72. When I first got the car, I filled the reservoir and cycled the top a few times with good results. I don't recall how many times in the last several months the top has been cycled but the top started having problems again.

I removed the seat and refilled the reservoir and again all is working however, this time after cycling several times, I placed a foil tray underneath with a paper towel (it should noted here that I did not replace the plug during this exercise). I left the top DOWN so I could see better. When I checked later, the paper towel was soaked. After refilling, I cycled through a couple of times and left the top UP. This time the paper towel only had what appeared to be some residual drops on it. I then put the top DOWN and noticed the reservoir wanted to over flow.

I'm confused.....I've read through several postings on this site that say to fill the reservoir with the top UP (as in closed) and failure to do so would potentially result in the plug being blown out when cycling the top up or down. Well, from what I see, when the top is in the down position, the reservoir is FULL to the point of wanting to overflow

Also, I've checked the cylinders. They have the appearance of OLD "dampness" rather than fresh "wetness" so not sure if it's leaking from the cylinders or not.

Is it possible for there to be a leak within the pump housing? I ask because I see wetness on the wires that protrude from the underside of the pump.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's been a while since I had my '73 XR-7 convertible but I seem to remember having the same basic issue until I realized that the reservoir should not be filled up all the way so that there is some room to displace the fluid as the system operates.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes it can leak from the pump housing as my 73 Mustang convert did last summer. I bought this Mustang in 1988 with never a problem anywhere. I got a good used pump (they are the same 1965-1990) at a flee market for $20.00 out of a 1988 Mustang and put that in there which solved the leak at the pump--back in business. Then this summer the two cylinders started leaking.....man! Now this convert is a summer driver car at best, so I mixed Lucas power steering seal conditioner in with some Type F fluid and topped off the pump again. That slowly solved the leak in the cylinders. I suppose next a line will blow. What a great car this one has been.....FORD baby! Hope this helps...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts