Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1969 XR7 vert has a leak in front of the right rear tire. It is a greasy, black fluid. The culprit seems to be that hydraulic cylinder for the power top. The tubing seems to be intact and fine. The leak is out of the top of the cylinder around the piston.

My question here is: I plan on replacing that cylinder as well as the tubing for that side, it will all be apart anyway. How much more preventive replacing should I be doing?? Do I do both cylinders and all the tubing while there? The seat and seat back are out, only the side piece on the passenger side so far is out to allow access the cylinder. Do I also replace the pump? Where should I stop.

A rule in life I live by if it isn't broken don't fix it. Having said that there are exceptions to every rule, including thist one. Will having one new cylinder and one older one affect the lowering and raising of the top? Does it matter?

Lastly..............regardless of what I replace, what type of fluid goes back in? Is it hydraulic fluid or something else? Most importantly how do I fill it back up? Will it bleed itself automatically? I would like to think I can handle this problem, I've already diagnosed it, allowed access to it, I just don't want to screw more up in the process.

Any and all info would be appreciated. Thank you. Bill

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Replace BOTH lines, the other cylinder is optional but if you are doing one and the lines...

Type F ATF and yes, it self bleeds. But, I found that when I filled it in cool weather and then went to operate the top in warm weather, the top would not retract, too much fluid in the system was the cause. Took the plug out of the pump and let some spill out, no problem since.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace BOTH lines, the other cylinder is optional but if you are doing one and the lines...

Type F ATF and yes, it self bleeds. But, I found that when I filled it in cool weather and then went to operate the top in warm weather, the top would not retract, too much fluid in the system was the cause. Took the plug out of the pump and let some spill out, no problem since.
Do I fill the pump itself? Is the plug I see on it on the front the fill plug and one last question, Does it matter if I fill it when the top is up or down? I feel that that does matter. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes, fill the pump. Does not matter if the top is up or down as I recall. In one position the fluid is on one side of the pistons and in the other position it is on the other. Cycle the top up and down a few times and top up the fluid as needed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It does matter if the top is up or down, I just can't recall which. When bleeding the system by putting the top up and down you can blow out the plug and leak fluid if you start with the top in the wrong position.

Steve

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would anyone like to be the tie break here? What i can tell the group is that the cylinder is fully extended when the top is up. Does this help?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for checking her out for over Memorial Day weekend. I am loving her, little issues and all.
It does matter if the top is up or down, I just can't recall which. When bleeding the system by putting the top up and down you can blow out the plug and leak fluid if you start with the top in the wrong position.

Steve

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Would anyone like to be the tie break here? What i can tell the group is that the cylinder is fully extended when the top is up. Does this help?
For a 1970, the shop manual (volume 4) section 45-02-04 in bold letters states that "The top must be up when the fluid level is checked."

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a good start. Does it mention in what position it should be in when you start filling the pump?
For a 1970, the shop manual (volume 4) section 45-02-04 in bold letters states that "The top must be up when the fluid level is checked."

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I stand corrected then!

·
Registered
748 Posts
HOW HARD IS IT TO REPLACE THE CYLINDER? Mine leaks and will not work. I have a replacement but have held off on it for the past.....year.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got both coming and the tubing. I'll post up after it gets done. It can't be that bad can it?. :)
HOW HARD IS IT TO REPLACE THE CYLINDER? Mine leaks and will not work. I have a replacement but have held off on it for the past.....year.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's not a difficult job. You pull the back seat (both pieces) which only takes a minute, and then the rear side panels, which is just a few screws. You need to loosen or remove the sill plate since the rear panels tuck under the sill plate in the corner. At this point everything is easily accessible.

Steve

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct. That is where she is right now on the passenger side, ready to go. I am going to wait for the parts to get here before I prep the drivers side.
It's not a difficult job. You pull the back seat (both pieces) which only takes a minute, and then the rear side panels, which is just a few screws. You need to loosen or remove the sill plate since the rear panels tuck under the sill plate in the corner. At this point everything is easily accessible.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts