Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only am I new to the Cougar family, but to Convertible's also. My car's top is in what looks to me like decent shape except for the backglass which is in two pieces and folds in the middle. Where it folds it looks like it is held together by some type of clear rubber (looks like Clear silcone or something). Well it is coming apart at that rubber where the glass is attached to the rubber where rain can run in. My first ? is do I need a new top or can this be fixed or replaced. 2nd ? is: Is that the way the original tops glass was made or has previous owner put some aftermarket top on it? Somebody please educate me on this issue. Thanks Yarddog

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Hi Yarddog, The split glass window is factory.
A good top shop should be able to replace just the window. I don't have any idea what it will cost you. The last one I did was about 20 years ago and it was about $90. I remember I thought that was a lot then.
Good luck with your cougar. Bruce

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The silicon can be replaced. You just remove the glass panel by undoing the zipper and screw holding base, remove existing silicon, place glass on flat surface, clamp it gently so it cant move with glass pieces spaced same distance as original and then run a new bead of silicon. Smooth it off with wet finger wait for it to cure and re-install

1 - 4 of 4 Posts