Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 1971 XR7 cougar for over two years now. I never really put the top up on the car because I keep it in the garage. The other day I put the top up for the first time since I bought the car and its really not in as bad of a shape as I first thought it was. The main thing wrong with it is the at the back window on both sides the convertible top isn't connected to the sides anymore... I was just wanting to rig it up the best I could right now since I never really put the top up... Not sure if that area was stitch or if there was some kind of adhesive there... I was thinking about using some kind of Adhesive to stick it back together if possible... Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? If I could some kind of adhesive can you recommend which one to use?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Re: Convertible Back window "top came coming apart from the side of the window"

The back window is separate from the rest of the top and the glass and it's material simply overlay the top on the sides, so if I am understanding you correctly, what you are observing is normal and you do not have a problem.

Regards,

Bob

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts

IIRC, the 71-73 'verts had a zip-up rear glass window. If yours doesn't it is a cheaper aftermarket version.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

IIRC, the 71-73 'verts had a zip-up rear glass window. If yours doesn't it is a cheaper aftermarket version.
and

1969XR7Vert

Ok, thanks for the info... My covertible does have a zipper... So I am going to put my top back up and look at it again... I most llikely won't be able to do that until this weekend or beginning of next week... I will post back after really messing with the top... The other day when I had it up I lost my keys to the trunk and and took some of the inside out behind the convertible top to be able to get to my trunk and open it... I just looked at my top and thought damn its not as bad as I thought... Looked at the back glass and just figured it was messsed up and just put the top back down and my cover on that hides the top...

I will update again after looking it all over again...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts