Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned a convertable.My dad bought a 57 2 dr. 312 paxton blower with one seat and a roll bar. That was the sweetest ride! He bought it for the saturday night poker game. He was tired of getting outrun by my cousins 283 chevy. From there on he took all the money. I loved riding in that car. Allthough it was tough sitting on a box. Just hold on and go like hell! I know thats why I want this 69 so bad. Right off I know I need all new weatherstripping.The guy I bought it from said there was a problem with one of the rivets in the top frame. He has a bolt stuck in there but it needs welding. Doesnt make sense to me, replacing a rivet with a weld. Whos got the best weatherstripping sets and can you guys tell me anything else to look out for? I dont want to buy anything twice. I am hoping you guys can help with good advice. Thanks in advance Mike

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
MIKE,
a few of the vendors that sells the kits are good, (auto krafters,johns classic cougars,mustangs unlimited,west coast classic cougars.)But be prepared to replace the pillar post weatherstrips, they are not cheap. A pair for my cat ran me 220.00 and thats for the seal that goes from the top of the windshield post to the lower part of the doors (inside)But the other pieces come together in a kit are not bad in price at all.
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pat, You got any idea what hes talking about with that rivet deal? Mike

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
does he mean the arrowhead on the strip that runs from 1 side to the other on the back of the top?
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
opps my bad lol..
sorry ill have to look at my top n see what he meant in terms
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pat, From his description, its a rivet in a pivot point in the frame. Thats why to weld it doesnt make sense. Mike PS what does lol mean?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
lol = laughing out loud.
hmmm is it where it folds up in the middle when the top is folding back?I wouldnt think they would rivet that together since its the whole roof structure and over a period of time the rivet would wear away andbe loose.Id have to check it out .
thanks
pat

·
Registered
588 Posts
The top is held together by things that look like rivets but are actually pins with the ends crushed so it will not come out. Many of these pins have a nylon bushing in them so welding is out because it will melt the pin. I have a broken rod in one of my tops that I can't fix for this reason. There are some bolts in the top, though. Take a look on the other side to see what is proper, it may just need the right type bolt.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am preety sure its in the frame where it folds. Bruce a pin with the end crushed is a rivet havent you ever seen ww 2 films with Rosie the riveter?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I got some convertable parts left top parts ,pump levers ect

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
If anyone needs a convertible top set the parts car i got has a complete setup nothing broken, busted or anything
just let me know before i leave it to the JY guy to scrap w/ the car
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pat,Please wait a week. W hen my car gets here I might need stuff. Mike

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Mike,
ok, no problem
pat

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Pat-

I need the inside bows that screw into the top frame...the parts that slip through the loops on the inside of the car. I think there's three of them. Bring them to Daytona. Doing a new top this summer.

Thanks...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts