Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 cougar convertible and I am new to the forum. I have had it in my garage for the last ten years...every spring I roll it out and through some money at it and roll it back in. Finally, I am ready for paint this spring. While adjusting the control valve nut, the spool bolt snapped off ( no I did not over crank it!)...anyway I would like to just replace the spool bolt without having to purchase a new unit...any ideas how to find one or am I just better off replacing the unit?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rodes restauration may have the bolt in the drawer and be willing to sell it to you. 419-468-5182. He is definitely going to want to rebuild the unit for you.

I believe junkyard cores go for $20 - 25. Flaming River have brand new ones. I believe I got my last rebuilt control valve at the local carquest for less than $70 with a core trade-in. It works fine.

In your place I would just get another rebuilt unit locally and save the time and shipping costs.

Fix that cat up and get the joy you have been missing out on for 10 years!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I will just snag a rebuilt one...I know I need to get it on the road...However I live in Seattle and we only have about ten good convertible days a year!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
"we only have about ten good convertible days a year!"

LOL :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts