Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucky me, I recieved a Marti report on my car from Santa! I have some questions about it that one or more of you may be able to answer. My report lists the following options: Console, Protection Group, Competition Suspension. Does "Console" mean center console/armrest feature or console shifter? I am curious because the car did not come with a center console/armrest but has some telltale holes on the tunnel. I would like to add one regardless. What is included in the Protection group and the Competition Suspension packages? What are the options included in the XR-7 package for 1970?:)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
yes, you are correct on the console. the competition suspension came with a larger stabilizer bar i believe and F70 14 tires. maybe spring differences too. ( Cougars never got a rear sway bar correct? ) i THINK the protection package came with the door ding guards and the bumper guards as well. XR7's came with different seats and door panels as well as different guages than the standard Cougars. engine choices were the same. C'mon other people on the boards... come rip apart my advice... lol need to test myself

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Appearance protection group - chromed front bumper guards, bright door edge guards, colour keyed front and rear floor mats

Competition Handling Package - stiffer heavy duty front and rear springs and shock absorbers, larger front stabilser bar, rear stabiliser bar

XR7 - 3 bar grille, colour keyed remote mirror, XR7 badging, rocker panel mould, leather accents on seats, burr walnut dash, tacho, ammeter, oil pressure gauges, trip meter, rallye clock on passenger side, rocker switches above a/c registers, map pockets on seats, low fuel and door ajar warning lights, different door trims, courtesy light groups (activated from rocker switches)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Hey Leon. What the heck is a 3-bar grill?
XR-7 front grills were the same as std. except for the xr-7 badge instead of the running cat for 1970, right? The rear stabilizer bar was only for 70, 69 comp. handling pkg. was the same w/o the rear sway bar.
I have the appearance protection group on mine and have the front bumper guards and but not the door edge guards. Got any for my 69 cat?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i think i have 2 of the door ding guards lying around. 2 out of 6 i think lol.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
door edge guards

Yes, a nice pair of door edge guards is needed. What condition are they and how much moola to get them?
let me know catfan.
COUGRRRMAN:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts