Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K.... So I just found a mint center console for my Std 4 Speed Convertible. My question is...The console is black. I got the right Dark Aqua paint from Mustangs unlimited. Should I prime first, since it's going to a lighter color. I'm worried about filling in the grain pattern on the console. Anyone have any tips to make this go smoothly??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
David,
You do not have to primer plastic if you are using vinyl or plastic paint. Wash the crap out of the console. Use a brush of some sort to get every nook & cranny clean. Even go over it with a clean cloth & alchohol. When spraying, you need to make sure that the coats are very very light. Just dust it on. This will keep the integrity of the grain. I've done this a few times and it's not that hard. Just make sure it's clean and real light coats of paint. Have fun!!!!

Zoli

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yep. Very good info. I have just finished painting ( touching up) mine. Black is my color so all I had to do is freshen up the finish a little. It looks great but I am missing the original lighter element and knob. Looking for one. No luck so far.
other than that everything is great. Your's should look great too if you take it completely apart and paint the pieces individually and take your time. Enjoy and show us a picture when you're done.

·
Registered
269 Posts
1Bad Kat,

In reference to Zogmans reply the alcohol rubdown at the end is very very important. The alcohol will remove any oils and volatile residues that soap and water wont take off. If you have any oil on the plastic (engine oil, armor all, dash polish etc) the paint wont stick and if it does it will peel.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
PERSONALLY id use an adhesion promotor over the plastic to make sure that the paint will stick to it. once again after its all washed down and de-greased, id spray one LIGHT coat over the console of the adhesion promotor and let it dry for about 15 minutes. LIGHT is the key word. dont want too much on there. then yeah... enough LIGHT coats of the paint until it is covered. then enjoy!... Serves 12, keep lightly chilled :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts