Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new carpeting in my '72 Cougar Convertible and now having trouble re-installing the Console and could use some insight so I don't mess it up.

The console is comprised of three parts, the console itself, the slip in component containing the clock and the shift opening, and the shifter bezel which attaches separately to the floor before the console opening is dropped down over it. If I recall when taking it apart, the opening in the console sat down fairly flush to the shift bezel mounted on the floor.

The new carpet comes with padding consistent with the old padding and overlaps by about 8-10inches. But, now it seems the console doesn't sit down as low so there is probably a 5/16th gap at the rear of the bezel and the console (see pic). I've tried pushing the console downward to get it to sit lower but it ain't happening.

Also, It's impossible to find the existing screw holes through the new carpeting when both the front and read are in place. Screwing through carpeting is nasty because the drill bit gets clogged with carpeting and padding. AND all the while you have to worry about screwing up the console with the drill. The one pic shows an old crack that I patched from the back side with fiberglass and resin (actually did all of them). I was able to get the screw in on that one but the 2nd pic shows a gap (with my finger) between the console and the tunnel so now the screw is not long enough (go figure).

Anyone have a fool proof method of getting the console screwed down without risking damaging to the console?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Not fool proof but I use a sharp awl to line up the holes. I lift the carpet to see where the holes are than attempt find the hole through the carpet. once you get a couple started the rest are easier to find.

·
Registered
913 Posts
This might not help find the holes, but if you need to drill a hole through the carpet and pad, use a drill that has a reverse and drill through the carpet in reverse until you hit metal and then forward through the metal, This way you won snag the carpet.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My method was to use a thin punch with the tip heated up red hot and then inserted into the screw holes in the hump from underneath (much easier or more possible with trans not in the car). The hot punch went right through the sound deadener, the tar mat and the carpet "like budda". Then, you have a clean hole that you can even see light through from underneath (if lit) to get your screws started through. No pulling of carpet fibers and no gooping up with tar mat or sound deadener (if used) (or at least greatly reduced).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
379 Posts
Watch the drill, that loop carpet will start running a marathon on you if you are not careful, cut back some padding if you have to for a snug fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts