Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my sound system. Currently it has an AM/FM/CB/8-track head unit. The three front speakers dont work, but the rear ones do.
The 8-track player looks pretty cool, and makes the car look original, so is there any way to hook up a CD player head unit, then have the 8-track player connected to that?
I am thinking of having the new CD player head unit put in the glove box, then rewireing the car and new speakers, do you guys have any tips about a sound system?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I have an FM modulated 6 disk CD changer in my car, and it just plugs into the antena outlet and then ower and goes off your original speakers. They are cheap now, and easy plug and play, worth a look.

Rick

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
There is a way to play CDs thru 8 trac if thats what your asking. Get the cassette to 8 trac adapter and CD to cassette adapter and plug all that in including your CD and you'll have some real poor sound,lol. I know I done it. I am in the throws currently of purrrfecting my system and heres what I think will work best now at least for me. I'm going from mys stock AM/8trac deck to a 300W amp. The amp has four inlets RCA style and four outlets screw style so my plan is to plug the CD palyer into the amp and forget about all the other gadgets. I find it interesting you have CB as well. So do I. I thought no one else would,lol. I bought an NOS one off ebay that converts 8 trac to CB. That was thinkin,
Catzyalater, Ray

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get the cassette to 8 trac adapter and CD to cassette adapter and plug all that in including your CD and you'll have some real poor sound,lol.

I actually tried that, but the hiss in the background of the 8-track kinda got annoying, so I just stayed to radio.

So what your saying is that you can connect an 8-track head unit to an amp, then hook up the CD player to the amp? Will the speakers then hook up to the amp?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
go check out the fm modulated CD Changers. The go off your deck unit, and come out the speakers you already have Its just a simple wire in, and plug in the antenna leads. And hide the cd changer under the seat, and no one knows, it even come with a remote :D

Rick

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Yes. I don't have a hiss problem on mine I don't think. Course I rarely use it and am in the throws of buying a personal MP3 player so I can jukebox 176 songs on one CD ten hours of music uninterupted by Djs or commercial. I currently "jukebox " My yard when we work outside thru my computer to stereo outside speakers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking I would like the CD changer or amp to send the signals to the speakers because you can't really get good sound and bass off a 8-track player

Right now I have an iPod with an FM transmitter, and that works great, but have to fix the front speakers anyway so am thinking of just updating the whole sound system

1 - 7 of 7 Posts