Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am presuming that all rubber thingies are called bushes, anyway took a few pics of the ones I could find, some look shot, some don't look to bad, could not find any for the rear tho'.
Comments on the state of them please.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What is this? And does it look okay?

·
Registered
614 Posts
In that first pic, those sway-bar link bushings look pretty hammered. I'd think about changing them eventually.

That unidentified part pic looks like an idler arm, if you have a lot of slop in the steering, this part might be worn. The grease cups look okay, but this isn't always an indication of the condition of the arm itself.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ZT, that pic with the rubber disintergrating, how would that affect the steering? {Oh, and what is it called?}

·
Registered
614 Posts
Um....ya got me. I don't know the official term, although I do know it's part of your ram-assist steering, so maybe you could call them ram assist cylinder bushings?

I'm sure one of the other guys knows the proper term for it. We'll still consider this thread open, ok? :D

Also, as far as affecting steering...disintegrating rubber can never be good. My guess would be that the cylinder will be able to move around a bit with the rubber being so rotted, resulting in steering drift, perhaps?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, I wish I could yank out the entire steering system and whatever affects it and wave a magic want to fit a new one in, I never realised so many things affect steering, and how difficult it would be to diagnose my +-20* steering play [each way].
Now, how do I track down the right part numbers for all these bushes, I am sure I could find them here, so long as I had a part number to go on, do you think the formoco site will have that info, or have you any other suggestions.
Also what bushes on the rear are there?
Thks.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
the top picture is of the sway bar, it helps with handling, keeping it tight in corners kinda. New rubber bushings will make it stop swaying (hence"sway bar lol) in corners. You can even get poly (hard rubber in different colors even), which will help alot. The tie rod is hard to tell in the picture, fill it with grease and see if it takes any slop out, even though it looks almost full to me.

the second picture is the bushing for the steering ram. If its bad, your ram will move and have sloopy steering and wear out the bracket eventually. Get a new bushing kit.

the 3rd picture looks like your idler arm, and its not rebuildable, and new ones arent that expensive, any doubts, replace it. If you can move it up and down, replace it.

If you replace the idler arm, and tie rods, get it aligned. the sway bar doesnt affect alignment, just sideways movement in corners :) If you replace the steering ram bushing, alignment isnt neccecelery either. Suspension is fun stuff :)

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
On the rear, you have a few bushings that are of concern. The rear shackle bushings that bolt from the springs to the frame. If they are shot, then you will get alot of sideways movement in corners, and may bend the shackles if driven hard. then theres the spring perch bushings too, but those require taking the u-bolts out, and lifting the rear, and alot more work. If you get new spring perch bushings, some places sell poly ones, which would be great. new rear shackle bushings would help alot if they are bad, usually the front spring bushing is ok. Hope I helped. If you need help, let me know :)

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Suspension is fun stuff :)" Oh yeah, great fun, by the looks of it I need to replace everything, everything mentioned points to steering sway and that is what I have, like steering a boat. Now to find all those part numbers:D
BTW, found the tag on the diff, its ES-AA 0A0
00 9 952A
It was hanging on by the tiniest little bit of metal, so I took [pulled] it off, checked it out on a site and if there should be a W in front of the ES then its a 3.00:1, thats the part of the tag that was hanging on so not sure if there was a W or not.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, at least I know what something definitely is:), FMX had this on its tag, PHB E 1 D0 ZK82, hope its a FMX:D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great...........now to see if that Holley is REALLY a 750cfm:D:D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
whats the list number in it, I have an old holley book I can get the number and cfm from.

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You have mail

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
a 3310 is a 780 (the number you emailed me). Awesome carb, I had one on my 351C and it worked great.

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh good, that makes 3 things the advert was truthful about, oops no, 4, I found the invoices for the engine rebuild. I just love that cat, pity I'm too scared to take her up to high speed in case everything rattles apart, S got the 72 up to over 120 the other day, he was chuffed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts