Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a pair of Autolite shocks for the rear. They are heavy duty shocks C7WY 18125 E NOS in the box but they are brown? I believe concourse judging says that they are to be black? Do I need to look for a different part number or were some of them brown. The car is a 390 car. Does anyone have any insight on this.

·
Registered
437 Posts
great find. Where did you find them, ebay? Ihave a 69 XR7 with a 390 as well and need to try to find a set.

Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
The build sheet will tell you what color
Mine is a 69 XR7 351 and they say green on the build sheet
You can also call Tom @ KTL number is on the ccnjpa.com web site

Sent to you by HTC cell phone because power is still out after the storm

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The build sheet will tell you what color
Mine is a 69 XR7 351 and they say green on the build sheet
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the build sheet color just refer to the identifying paint daubs, not the shock body itself?
Personally, I've seen original factory-installed shocks in black and (less frequently) blue. But never in brown, green or any other color.
Which is not conclusive proof they never existed, of course, but they certainly wouldn't be the norm.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i'm really sorry---got my cars mixed up ---try green sales for nos ford product stuff---they can also check on partsvoice.com for you too
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Guys these shocks Harvey are replying too I have in the boxes and the shock has same number on them but they are a brown goldfish color and are for sale I'll get some pictures of all the different ones and let you see them and try to figure it out before they disappear
John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been told by somebody? I have talked on the phone to many people the last few days looking for shocks, someone said the goldfish color ones. 18125E was for a station wagon? No evidence to that other than hear say. Someone also told me the rears should be CAWY 18125A? Again I here different stuff with each call I make. To bad you didn't have two of the C7WY 18124 A's Wish there was someway to verify the numbers on the other rear shocks that you have. This is confusing.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My 390 XR7-G still has the original rear shocks part# C8WF-18045-E3 build date March 23 1968. From what I have found all the big block Cougar shocks have the 18045 in the part number regardless of the rest of the number and that is true for the front and rear shocks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I need to get a set of shocks for my 1969 XR7 390 4speed vert.

Does anyone know for certain the part OE part numbers?
Does anyone have a line on where to get front and rears?

I believe that the color should be black and there might even be a raised spiraling on the outter metal of the tube.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BOSSELIM69 That number is one of the problems I have. The number C7WY 18124 is either an Autolite part number or ford but only on the box. I don't think the numbers on the actual shock match or are even close? Your numbers off of those shocks are so far the first numbers I have that were actually imprinted. So now I have another direction to look in. Thanks. Does anyone else have an original car with original shock numbers?

·
11,000 Posts
What number is engraved on the shock absorbers? A C7WY 18125 - (whatever) is a kit number. The number engraved on the shock will be different and will typically start with C_WF. There also may be an Autolite number starting with AB or AX. The basic number for any Ford Motor Company rear shock is 18125.

For example one of the NOS shocks I have in stock is Autolite Kit # C8WY 18125-A. It is correct for 1968 390GT, 1968 - 70 428CJ, and Cougars equipped with the Competition Handling Package. The number engraved on the shock itself is C8WF 18125-D.

Front shock absorbers have the basic number 18124.

I found a pair of Autolite shocks for the rear. They are heavy duty shocks C7WY 18125 E NOS in the box but they are brown? I believe concourse judging says that they are to be black? Do I need to look for a different part number or were some of them brown. The car is a 390 car. Does anyone have any insight on this.

·
11,000 Posts
The gold color shocks are Autolite Auto Flex brand Heavy duty. They were made for every application, from 6 cylinder Mercury Comets to Mercury Villager station wagons and of course for Cougars. There should be an AB or AX number engraved in the shock. Tell me the number and I can tell you the application from the Mercury Master Parts Catalog.

I have been told by somebody? I have talked on the phone to many people the last few days looking for shocks, someone said the goldfish color ones. 18125E was for a station wagon? No evidence to that other than hear say. Someone also told me the rears should be CAWY 18125A? Again I here different stuff with each call I make. To bad you didn't have two of the C7WY 18124 A's Wish there was someway to verify the numbers on the other rear shocks that you have. This is confusing.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mr. Peterson, I don't have the shocks, JussplumCougars has them. Can you tell me what the C7WY 18125 A and teh C7WY 18124 A would have stamped in them?

·
11,000 Posts
Where did those numbers come from?

If you are buying shocks from John Skinner you need to know the number on the shocks before he ships the wrong shocks to you. Often the wrong shocks are in the right boxes. Do you want the right shocks or the right boxes?

Mr. Peterson, I don't have the shocks, JussplumCougars has them. Can you tell me what the C7WY 18125 A and teh C7WY 18124 A would have stamped in them?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The gold color shocks are Autolite Auto Flex brand Heavy duty. They were made for every application, from 6 cylinder Mercury Comets to Mercury Villager station wagons and of course for Cougars. There should be an AB or AX number engraved in the shock. Tell me the number and I can tell you the application from the Mercury Master Parts Catalog.
Why list shock numbers out of the Mercury Master parts catalog when we know it's not an acurate source for information. Are you saying some Master parts catalogs are more acurate then others?.You just posted this.

" The 1975 Master Parts Catalog final revision is not a good source of information. It lists what replacement parts were available that would fit and work. It does not tell you what was used originally. A great example is your post saying it lists the C9OZ part for 1968.

·
11,000 Posts
My MPC was originally issued in April 1968. The shock section in my MPC is a 1970 revision. It is therefore a lot more accurate than the 1975 final revision.

Why list shock numbers out of the Mercury Master parts catalog when we know it's not an acurate source for information. Are you saying some Master parts catalogs are more acurate then others?.You just posted this.

" The 1975 Master Parts Catalog final revision is not a good source of information. It lists what replacement parts were available that would fit and work. It does not tell you what was used originally. A great example is your post saying it lists the C9OZ part for 1968.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts