Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a compressor for the new house. I have a Craftsmen 30 gal at the old house just because of the size and not all to happy with it. The dam thing runs all the time and is 110V.

So for the new place that has no size/volt limit (has 220 in the shop) I do have a 1K(?) limit to spend.

I see Harbor Fright has a 60 gal 5 HP putting out 15.8 CFM @ 90 PSI which seems to be the highest CFM for the price of $799. But not sure of how good it is and have heard the smallest size sould be 80 gal.

Lowes has a
Ingersoll Rand 5 HP 80-Gallon 135 PSI Electric Air Compressor for $1200 with SCFM @ 90PSI 18.1

Any ideas or help would be great
Thanks
Stu

·
Registered
913 Posts
Stu, You are on the right track, but where ever you buy it, get the two stage and not the single, it will cost about $200 more but will well worth it.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
If you plan to use just about any air tools, a two-stage compressor is preferred. Even with a two-stage, the size of tank isn't as big of a concern since it can pump more high-pressure air than a single-stage pump. If you get a single-stage, then yes, the bigger tank is better...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Depending on if you are doing paint and body, or just the occasional air gun, I like it....You may be able to find something in an area that you might not usually think of, like an implement store, or like a western outfitters type place.

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Buy the extended warranty on electrical stuff at HF - I have had plenty of problems with thier saws......that looks pretty good for the money, but have you looked around at Lowes/Home Depot/Menards for one a clearance? I got mine at Lowes a few years ago for about 40% off and it's been a very sweet running one. Now that I have moved I don't have 240V out in the garage.....not sure if I will at this point (House needs upgraded pannel) so you may be able to find some poor shmo like me to buy one from on CL?

Be sure to put some vibration pads under the feet, and plum out the drain valve where you can reach it and it won't blow Shtuff all over your cars and what not. The first few times you drain it you will get all kinds of nasty oily water out of it! I highly recommend putting in some in-line sepparators/filters and a few drop down drain points to keep the lines free of junk too.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I REALLY like my 60 gallon upright. Got it on a closeout at Sears. I think someone forgot to put oil in it, burned it up, returned it, Sears put in a new compressor and then put it out in the "scratch-n-dent" area.....didn't sell...and a bud called me up and said HEY! You need this! Price was right at around $200-300!!!! SCORE!!!!

Two stage is good! 220V doesn't hurt! Even a 40 gallon upright would do you very well. Upright just saves space.

Steve

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Personally, I would not buy HF for a high dollar purchase like this. If nothing else, their warranty is only 90 days. I bought a Husky (Campbell Hausfeld) 60 gallon 2 cylinder V unit (don't think it is 2 stage though) and have been pretty happy with it. 80 gallon two stage would be the cats meow but again, I would not buy HF for something like this. Ingersol Rand = Good choice.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
In 1990 we purchased a 5 hp 60 gallon single stage upright devilbiss stage 2 compressor.22 years later and just replacing the drive belts and changing the fluids its been a great investment.It has painted many cars and used alot for air tools. Look on craigslist if you want to find one too if your looking for a decent one. But as far as HF i agree with bob i wouldnt go that route either...

thanks
pat

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've worked full time in the field of commercial pneumatics for the past 17yrs, Quincy, Devilbiss, Ingersol, Gardner Denver, I service all these brands, many of these pumps are running 24/7-365 with a 1/3-2/3 run time, meaning off for 2/3rds of the run time.
Any of those brand name compressors are going to survive all you can dish up at home in your garage.
I can't vouch for crafstman, cambell hausfield, speedy air, or any china crap sold at big lots.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've worked full time in the field of commercial pneumatics for the past 17yrs, Quincy, Devilbiss, Ingersol, Gardner Denver, I service all these brands, many of these pumps are running 24/7-365 with a 1/3-2/3 run time, meaning off for 2/3rds of the run time.
Any of those brand name compressors are going to survive all you can dish up at home in your garage.
I can't vouch for crafstman, cambell hausfield, speedy air, or any china crap sold at big lots.
I as well have been in the compressed air business as an Atlas Copco and DVair dealer and have worked on all types of customers compressors. Devair or now called DV Systems is the Cadillac of piston air compressors. All the Campbell Hausfield, Craftsman, Harbour Freight, Husky etc are what we call cheater compressors or cheater pumps. They may have a 5hp sticker on them but they are not what we call a true 5hp pump or motor. Most of these use a pump made by Fu-Sheng out of China who unfortunatly are now owned by Curtis who used to make great compressors.

Have a look locally for someone getting rid of a Devair, Divillbiss, or even a Chicago Pneumatic who is made by Atlas Copco who purchased Quincy compressors and I think they are using their tried and true pumps now. Speed Air make a great home use compressor for the price.

Now I am bias to a good quality compressor but most of the good Husky's, CH, etc should be a good compressor for the type of work you will be doing at home but I'd never recommend using them in a shop at 8 hours a day as it'll only last a year at most and if you get more out of it consider yourself the lucky one.

Go 2 stage @ 220/230 volt as the starter and motor will last allot longer and for what you need, a 5hp with 60 to 80 gallon tank should be plenty.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The last two posts are very good info and I admit that the Husky 60 gallon single stage V-twin compressor is not what I thought it would be when I bought it (at HD with a good discount for opening a HD CC account). It has served me VERY well and I have beaten on it pretty well. More or less sand blasting most of Isabel, using my glass beading cabinet even more than that, etc. It took to making a squeal intermittently now and then that sounds like a bearing intermittently seizing up. I took the electric motor apart and replaced the bearings with some better sealed units, but still the same thing. Thinking now that it is probably something in the compressor but the thing keeps on going, just bothers me that it does the squeal thing now and again. I thought it would have sh!t the bed by now but (knock on wood) still going. It being tucked into a corner makes access to the belt/pulleys difficult at best, I probably did not make the best decision positioning it the way I did, I might have investigated further before now if I had mounted it otherwise.

Anyway, my point is that as Rag said above, I think I have one of those cheap chinese crap compressor pumps. Reason being is that when Stu asked the question, I went and looked at HF stuff before I foo-foo'ed it (but did end up foo-fooing it ;-) I found that the replacement compressor head they sell looks just like what my Husky has:

http://www.harborfreight.com/145-psi-5-hp-twin-cylinder-air-compressor-pump-67698.html

Guess I know now what to do if mine does sh!t the bed, find a good HF coupon and go get one!

I have changed the oil in the pump twice since I have had it, so that is as good as it gets I guess. It does have what I think is a fair amount of blow-by judging by the oil/water slime that has come out of the tank drain when I drain it at the end of each time I use it. I use two moisture traps and have not had any oil problems at the tool end of the hose thus far.

Wonder how much "schmutz" others with better quality units are getting out of theirs.

I also stopped what I was doing the last time I changed the oil and went to Lowes. Got a brass pipe nipple and cap to plumb the drain plug off the side of the motor/pump mounting platform of the tank. I get real annoyed when the oil tries to go everywhere draining it without this.

So, that's my Husky 5? hp V-twin 60 gallon upright story.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I bought the 60 gallon Campbell Hausfield on sale with the 3 HP motor. I have ran the palm sander and even painted my car with the HVLP with no problems. I like it for occasional garage use and being fairly quiet as well. Now it just blows dust and airs tires.

·
Registered
780 Posts
They are great compressors for general light duty especially for what most of us can afford for at home.

Bob, try checking the pulleys and belts as constant stop and start can glaze the groove of the pulley and the belts get hot and dry out and harden. I would also install a coalescing filter and a particulate filter inline to remove any oil, water, and particulate out of the air. If you use air tools sometimes I'd get a lubricator and get a short piece of hose with quick connects so I could just quick connect the lubricator at the point of use when I need it for the sanders, grinder, impact driver, etc, and quicly diconnect it for painting and blasting.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
They are great compressors for general light duty especially for what most of us can afford for at home.

Bob, try checking the pulleys and belts as constant stop and start can glaze the groove of the pulley and the belts get hot and dry out and harden. I would also install a coalescing filter and a particulate filter inline to remove any oil, water, and particulate out of the air. If you use air tools sometimes I'd get a lubricator and get a short piece of hose with quick connects so I could just quick connect the lubricator at the point of use when I need it for the sanders, grinder, impact driver, etc, and quicly diconnect it for painting and blasting.
This is not a belt squeal, I know what that sounds like, those happen when the unit starts up. This is something that happens while the unit is running and comes and goes, whatever it is seizes and lets go repeatedly. One day when I have spare time (like when I am dead :buck:) I will get around to looking at it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
When you guys say heavy duty use Vs home use, what do you mean exactly? I bought a Campbell Hausfeld 6 HP 60 Gallon compressor recently and I just want to sandblast, use air tools (die grinders, cutoff, impact wrench) and occasionally paint. Would that be considered Heavy duty use?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I think what is meant by "Heavy Duty" use means like 100% duty cycle. Granted sandblasting or glass beading is pretty much that with compressors of the size we are talking about, but these big box store units are not really up to the task or will take a beating doing that. Having said that, I most certainly put mine through the mill with my epic restoration, but it is still standing. Can't say I have had the utmost confidence in it along the way though! I thought for sure it was going to sh!t the bed way before now. Maybe it is time I figured out what the noise in it is and fix it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
BTW, this thread got me looking back at what I did and what I bought at the time (June 2007). The unit was $399 at HD and I got 10% off by opening a HD CC account, $360. Hard to resist making that trade-off for anything but something without a chinese crap compressor head (such units are on the order of $1200 from what I have seen).

The price is downright funny when you consider the cost of a replacement compressor from HF would be just under 50% of the what the whole unit cost.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts