Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 S code vert, 4 speed, front disc, that came with a heavy duty radiator option as well as heavy duty/competition suspension and also radial tires.

I thought that this meant that the rear shocks were staggered on different sides of the rear axel. Mine are both on the front of the rear axel. I am planning on swapping out the rear shocks and am noticing this.

Can someone tell me if this correct or not? Is it perhaps that the stabilizer bars are bigger? There is one up front but I also don't see a stabilizer bar in the rear.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Everything that you have is correct, rear sway bars came out in 1970 on a Cougar.

Staggered rear shocks on 1969-70 428CJ with 4 speeds, and maybe Boss 302's, I don't know for sure though on the Boss2's.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the confirmation of info..

Everything that you have is correct, rear sway bars came out in 1970 on a Cougar.

Staggered rear shocks on 1969-70 428CJ with 4 speeds, and maybe Boss 302's, I don't know for sure though on the Boss2's.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

Yes, Boss 302s also had the staggered shocks. And the 428CJ 4-speed cars, like you mentioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts