Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year(s) was the Competition Green color option available?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
For Cougars 1970 only. 1970 comp green, gold, yellow, blue and orange. 1969 comp orange only.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
For Cougars 1970 only. 1970 comp green, gold, yellow, blue and orange. 1969 comp orange only.
Not entirely accurate. 1970 was the first year for Competition Green but it was also available on Cougars in 1971.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Although it was called Comp Green in 1971 it was NOT the same color.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Really? It shares the same name and "Z" code but it's a different color? I'm not an expert on 1971's so I'd like to hear a little more about the difference in color.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
A digital image of a paint color on a computer monitor is not conclusive enough to say these two colors are different. Anybody have some proof of exactly what the difference is?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
That 71 sure looks like the same color as 70 Competition Green but it could have been repainted and again, it's on a computer monitor. dfwcatsclub, do you have any information to back up your statement that the 70 & 71 colors are NOT the same?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Only seen it in person and have PPG color charts...
It's different. It is the same code but you would never confuse them in person. One is as you know it -- the 70 Comp Green -- the other is quite metallic looking.

Do some Google searches for "Grabber Green Metallic" to see if there are some pics online. I have regular pics -- no digital.

I thought there were some good PPG paint chips online that clearly discern. The scans provided are very poor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts