Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever compared seats of any other vehicles that would fit in a '69 ragtop? I would like to get yellow/black custom covers from a company called coverking, but they can't make for my cat because they have no pattern:mad: . So I was thinking that if I could find something newer at the junk yard that would fit and would be new enough that they would have a pattern.......

Chuck

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
had also toyed around with the idea of front/back buckets such as '82 or so cutlass 'vert...... Has anyone else thought or done this, or seen it done? Any ideas?
Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Chuck,
I had put 94 Mustang GT seats in badcatt, my 70 standard. I just took them out to put in my 69 390 car. It was a simple job. All I did was slot the mounting holes in the 70 seat tracks. So could do some thing like this for ragcat. I know of a member in my club(Cascade Cougar Club) who used Acord, or was it honda seats in his 69 convertable. He then had a full custom interour done. As I recall Art Hopkins has Porsche 911 seats in his XR7G. He had them recovered to match the stock back seat. Your imagination is the limit here. Neal.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chuck, I have never seen rear buckets before that I can remember, but I had thought about how that would look for my pro street car I'm planning Instead of having to narrow the stock rear seat. Looks like it might work like I was thinking although there maynot be room for a console between them. mm

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Mark. I don't know if they are 'exactly' bucket seats but that is what I call them. I just thought it would be a neat 'different' look. Might be just the answer to your narrowed rear also! I'm probably going to prowl around some junk yards today just to loook and get ideas.
Chuck

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
my seventy has late 80 cougar seats in it bolted right up but they are a little closer to the wheel then stock. done by the PO so im putting stock back in but they have good bolsters and lumbar adjustment.

·
Registered
889 Posts
seats I found

I was the canfield oh swap meet,This guy all he sells is car seats,So I was looking and fund a piar of power back leather bucket seats out of a 92 Jimmy hook up the power and bot them down.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies so far guys, however I THINK one crucial point has been missed: I will need/want matching rear seats also. I went to a junk yard today just to do some measuring and I think:eek2: seats from a probe might work as well as some seats I found in a laser/daytona although the laser might actually be too wide.
Chuck

·
Registered
889 Posts
Do this

Find the front seats then have a upolstery shop cover the back to match the front ,alot of these guys that do up their rods can hook you up.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Chuck,
If you find a set that you like, Get the back seat if it fits or not. You can get the upolstory removed from it and reworked to fit your back seat. Your door panels can easly be recovered or died to match the seats. I have recovered door panels myself befpr. I did a simple single color over the damaged vinyl on a Duster I use to have.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found seats!:D They are near perfect black leather from a '99 Ford Contour. They won't work as they are, but have already removed material/foam from rear seat and with a little trimming will work fine on my rear seat. I've already test fit and looks like they will work/look great. Front seats will bolt in as they are, but sit about 2-3 inches too high so looks like I'll be removing current brackets and installing the stock ones. Only problem is it looks like I will lose the power seat function on the drivers.:cry: I was looking sooooo forward to having a power seat!! Oh well. Whatever works. Won't have the final outcome for probably a couple of weeks though because I just had 102 bundles of shingles unloaded on top of my house, Can ya guess what I'll be doing the next few days?:(
Chuck

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Post some pics when you get em done. And yes I can guess what your doing and all I can say is better you than me:D . mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts