Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for your input ...

Jenny and I need to re-upholster the seats in our Eliminator. There are tears in the outer panels ... but the comfort weave is ok. I thought I'd salvage the original material and then have a shop match the parchment color to complete the covers. Problem is ... they no longer make the right color or grain pattern to make this look right.

OK ... so here's the un-official survey. Has any one used a set of covers with the "almost" comfortweave from WCCC. I am now leaning towards just buying the set and installing them myself. What did you think of them? Do they fit well? How close to comfortweave is it? Are you happy with what you bought? Would you do it again?

Just after some opinions ... and yes I did call WCCC, but all I am getting the last few days is their answering machine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I replcaed my front seat covers of my Eliminator in the early 1990's and I cannot tell the difference compared to the original back seat. The weave is the same as the back, however the fronts are slightly lighter, but after 20 years they are about the same. I have no clue if they changed the weave from the 1990's to now. I can't even remember where I bought them!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
If you can salvage the original comfortweave, do so. The reproduction stuff is clearly incorrect and will not match the back seat if you plan on using the original upholstery back there.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - good question.....from what everybody says there really isn't any good matches. You may consider having it all redone then it will at least match.......and you can get extra material for just in case. I doubt anybody would catch it unless you had some NOS piece laying side by side

·
Registered
391 Posts
You might also contact SMS Fabrics. Over the years, I have ordered some rather odd/original NOS seat fabrics and vinyl from them, and they've never let me down yet.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dennis,
You were right and I owe you a beer. SMS had the original comfortweave, matching vinyl, piping, and the stitched strip over the comfortweave itself. It we'rent cheap ... but I am ordering today.

The only problem is that the material and the premium foam cost as much as the quote to have the covers made. But at least the material is on order and as soon as I recover from this expense ... that will be the next step.

You might also contact SMS Fabrics. Over the years, I have ordered some rather odd/original NOS seat fabrics and vinyl from them, and they've never let me down yet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out! I have a '73 Marquis Brougham with really unusual, one-year-only cloth upholstery, and they had NOS rolls of it. I figured if they had that stuff, they'd certainly have what you need, since it was used a lot for multiple years. Like you discovered, they also have correct piping, etc., of which there were two different types on my front split bench seats -- you had to look close to tell, but they guy who helped me out knew all about it.

FYI, I understand that Ford actually made a lot of it's own upholstery fabrics and vinyls (have an in-house FoMoCo publication on the subject). The fabric I got was actually made wide enough so that there would be no seams on the bench seats!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dennis,
The material has been orderd and is on it's way. I will have close to $2K in just the seat recovering ... but they should be sweet. Thanks again for the assist.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
A sad day when vinyl is more than leather......but it's nice to know there is available stuff that matches OEM I guess. Kind of a hard pill to swallow at the going rates no matter what. I think my Cuda cost me about $400 for a whole new interior about 15 years ago - amazing how much things have gone up (except the paychecks!!) <sigh>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts