Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Come on Guys, The pot got bigger

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  old wood 
#1 ·
I know there are a lot of new young members that are computer savvy. Maybe you dont know me. I moved to the mountains a few years back and have not posted here much because of projects here, mostly a new shop that burned when I was near completion. I am a seious Cougar guy but they have to wait now until the new, new shop is finished this spring, (I have my fingers crossed). When I start on them its going to be a total rotessirie on the 68 and just about on the 69. There will be nothing else in there and I will be able to spread out and not worry about moving parts and screwing things up. I really cant wait but I have to. Meanwhile I am doing this van. I think its going to be way cool too. It is a little on the ugly side, way ugly now. With the lift, wheels, and the RIGHT stripes I think it will look awesome. Of course you know what they say about opinions. I need help. I can not do Photo shop. I really want to see what the stripes will look like before it goes to paint. To me the windows are the problem. I just cant picture how to configure them. It is going Polar, or Wimbledon white, with the stripes in a bronze to tie in the chestnut brown headliner. In addition to the 100.00 WCC gift certifacate I will throw in either a hand hewn beam, ( they make great mantles ) or a 100 square feet of barn board, ( great for paneling ) really cool for the shop to hang Cougar stuff, tools whatever. Thats enough to do a 10 x 10 wall. Wholesale value is a couple hundred bucks. But you pay the freight. I get a 70% discount. I am adding a few pictures of my cats. Right now I am laid up because I broke my foot and a couple of ribs, thats the only reason I am on here so much lately. I usually work seven days until dark at least and I am going nuts sitting on my ass. The only good thing is I am getting stuff done that I have been putting off that requires seat time. But it still sucks. Come on guys, I know thier is someone out there in Cougar computer land that can do Photo shop!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Perfectly level, 428 CJ does not need any help. The 391s hook up pretty good though. The 69, 351 smokes further with 350s. Maybe I will get one of these young guys to hook me up.

#4 ·
Those tires dont smoke very good either. It did melt the asphalt. No gap between first and second. I let off before third and really was going easy on it anyhow. The car has not been driven until I got it in a long time. I run it just about every day now at least enough to get it hot. I cant wait to get into it. You talk about fun. Its going to be a blast.

#6 ·
Keep us in mind for Econoline parts. We usually have 3-4 of them around the yard. We buy them for dumpsters, plasma cut the roof open and fill them to the top with junk glass, rubber, broken seats, scrap metal and the like. Lots of good parts on them go to waste!

#7 ·
Hey Wood, since you have a bit of time on your hands, go to Google images and type in "Explorer van conversion ford". A butt-load of pictures will come up. Granted most all will have the bubble tops but you will get the gist of it. We had a 96 bubble top van conversion that we bought new but I forget the brand name. I know Explorer is a very big name in van conversions. That being said, our van had fender flares all the way around and they were tied together with skirts and it looked great. Being that you want white & brown as your main colors.... you can start with really fine pin stripes that get larger as they get near the bottom of the van. Start out with a cream or marroon and slowly work your way to chestnut brown. Then outline the windows with one of the accent colors. Anyways, do your google search and you will have pictures to keep you amused for days. Good luck!!!

Z

#8 ·
Now were talking! Thanks guys. I just got back from the third damn day at the doctors. Only good thing I am getting my foot fixed by the Virginia Tech Football Orthepedic Surgeon. He oughta know how to fix broke bones. Thanks Andrew and Zoli. Don, I do need some sheet metal right off I will let you know. Thanks again.

#9 ·
Zoli I love your car so much you are hired as my van Design Architect. I am doing google now. This van is going to be one of my company trucks of which I am the only driver. I really do want it to look awesome. I am also tring to decide whether to go with the 71 429, 4bbl, or the 96 351w, fuel injected. But thats a ways off for right now I am going to stick with the weak but good running 83 motor.

#10 · (Edited)
can't do photoshop worth a crap but here's some ideas i think would look good... i think less is more on such a big van....

I think leave the windows alone....just let them speak for them selves..no need in outlining them...thats going to look dated IMO. keep the bronze down low like these are and if u want put a small stripe up mid way up but don't outline anything on the body... unless u are going for the 70s/80s look IMO. i think the 4x4 jacked up one above would look great in bronze and white....

#11 ·
Hey Old!! Don't have a clue about photoshop, but would love to come see the cougars/shop/van sometime. Your property looks gorgeous as most of that area is. I love making the trip from Independence to Wytheville that way. Shoot me a PM if interested in having a little pest visit for a short while to drool over the cats.
Thanks
Chuck

#12 ·
Thank you Barney, I do intend to leave the winows alone. I want to run the stripe the length of the van and ignore them. Its more I want to see it before its painted. To me the body style is going to date itself. As of right now I want to stick with the old school rims, but that could change. Thats why I want to photoshop it. The 4wheel van is encouraging but I dont want it to look like a factory van. I really want to see the stripe or stripes on my van with my windows. I really appreciate the pictures. I know the bubble tops are great for feeling roomy inside but they are really ugly to me.

#13 ·
Hello Chuck, you are wellcome anytime. I am usually here. Just give me a days notice or a phone call to be sure. The best number is 744 2505. You can allways get me there.

#15 ·
That is not it.First, can you get the colors right? Second, no Starsky and Hutch. Third, can we do the lift, rims, and tires? Is this the second thread photo? I cant see it all without scrolling sideways. Should I wash it and tke more photos for you? Thank you for the effort.

#17 ·
Hello Andrew, I hope you had a good week. I finally got my cast on today. Way better. Now where did I say copper? What I was thinking was bronze. The base color of the van is brown now, to be white. If you look close at the pictures the stripes or panels now are three differant shades. The bronze is the darkest and metallic. I am wide open on that too though. The interior- dash is tan or saddle, headliner- which is Perfect and really nice or I would change the color is tan courdoroy with brown trim, carpet- I plan on black tight loop like our cougars, and the walls will be a satin oil finish on virgin Chestnut, which goes from golden to rich brown. Tires will probally be Firestone Winter Force in 16" with either Crager ss or Torque thrust, but I am open there too. But its a good place to start. As far as the type of stripe, that is the problem, I dont know Differant! but in good taste. If you need me to take more pictures, send them direct so they are big, wash it, whatever let me know. And thank you, are you done yet? lol:beer:

#19 ·
Dale, what did I say to push your button. I do appreciate your opinion on the looks of my property considering when I bought it five years ago it was falling down, overgrown, no grass, with a creek about two foot wide and full of mud and cow manure. Now the creek is Clean, healed, with seven pools and three ponds stocked with Rainbow trout pushing 3 or 4 pounds that I caught fishing and restocked.Everything you see in the pictures. All the buildings, retaining walls, stone work and landscaping I mostly did myself evenings and weekends with a very little bit of help by my only helper when it was something that I just had to have help and we took off time from work. Not to mention the three story 8500 sq ft barn that burned. I built that from scratch. t I have replaced it with a tempory 30 x 70 one story to get in the dry until I can build the big shop to get back right.As far as rich, you are right I am. I have a beautiful wife, three wonderfull children, a loving family, and really good freinds. I am also physically able, with the natural ability and desire to build. Which I have done since I started in business for myself with a classified ad in 1976. Born in 56 I guess I was 20. NOBODY ever gave me anything... I have to say mentioning Mr Obama and Biden in the same paragraph when talking about me you definatly pushed mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.