Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the size of the combustion chamber is on a 68 289, i want to figure out my compression ratio, I think its to low for the cam the guy put in it.

Thanx

·
11,000 Posts
The 1968 289 heads were 60CC NOMINAL rated. That really means they were bigger than that and could still be that size after milling. Actual heads that are measured will be around 62 CC unmilled. This applies to castings marked C8AF-AK, C8AF-SM and C8ZF-G.

Original compression ratio was stated as 8.7 to 1. Again this is a nominal rating, the pistons sit about .040" in the hole at TDC while the CR was calculated at zero deck.

You need a pretty mild cam to avoid killing all bottom end power.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
From the "FORD PERFORMANCE" book it lists a true '68 head as having 61.7-64.7 CC heads. Check your casting number and report back.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
True that Royce and dfw.

Earlier heads had 54.5. I was mistaken about the 53. So, post your numbers and someone will sort it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm having a hard time finding time to work on the old cat right now, but I will get the numbers as soon as possible, its crucial that i know my compression, the cam the guy before put in it requires at least 9.5:1 and i don't think i'm anywhere near that.

·
11,000 Posts
I don't have a copy of the book Bill is referring to but that sounds like a reasonable number for a '68 head in original unmilled form. Figure 8.5 to one compression as a real world number for cam selection.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
"its crucial that i know my compression, the cam the guy before put in it requires at least 9.5:1 and i don't think i'm anywhere near that."

True. Compression can compensate for valve overlap on a cam. If you are stuck with the cam already in the car and don't want to change it, then you could always go with an earlier set of 289 heads with the 54.5 cc chambers to bump it up a bit.

Hipo and 2v heads have the same size valves and ports, so you could nab a set at a swap meet. that's the easy fix. assuming theres a big enough problem to warrant changing the heads.

·
11,000 Posts
Good point, all the valve and port sizes are the same.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have established that the heads are off of a 66 289. the car is bored 30 over and aparently the pistons are 8.5:1. And something definetly needs to be done. The car has absolutley nothing until about 40mph...... I need help!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts