Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 68 Std, orig. sea foam grn:cry: wht. top, all ready for paint(after 3 years:eek2: ) and I'm in the middle of a mid life crisis...what color scheme to paint it...I'm leaning toward the newer Ford lapis blue w/white vinyl top, but have failed in my search to find a pic of this color scheme...any help or comments are welcome and appreciated...PEACE...:D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Drive your car to a paint shop/store, ask to take there paint chip book outside, get comfy and go thru the book, and look at the chips and your car. You will eventually come up with a color you and your car will LOVE.
I found a Fire Red Metallic from a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am that is soooo Coool for the Fairlane. Took awhile but I found it.

Good Luck, picking a color is the hardest thing to do on a car.

Rick

·
Registered
356 Posts
Go for it! It's your car paint it whatever you like. I would keep the car original, thats just me. Even seafoam green,if the paints OK. A cheaper option and one thats not so drastic, is put a set of chrome aftermarket wheels. A nice set of rims even make cars in primer look good. I've seen a seafoamish green cougar with centerline rims a few years ago, and not for nothing for a seafoam green car it looked hot. Just my opinon. Good luck. Try to post some pics, I have 69 convert that I'm working on. here are some pics
http://mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=951

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have my Cougar in 72 GM Mohave Gold with a black top and a Parchment interior. I like it, and i think its even better since i used a brown/reddish primer under it. its a pretty transparent color, so it makes it a little more red looking. I have also been looking around for a project car that i could just paint the new 01 Ford Mineral Grey. Its off of the new Mustangs. i think it would fit a Cougar, MAYBE with a white top, but i think its better without the vinyl. Of course im partial to gold, greens, black, some greys ( PEWTER kicks ass!! off of newer Camaros/Firebirds/Corvettes) but who knows. its your car and i went through the same thing with a 72 Mach 1 Project i will soon undertake ( it was delayed :angryfi: ) hmmm, one more thing... what about Lexus GS blue?? lots of pearl in it, so its a flashy color, but it is really nice, and i think a white interior and top would look really good on a Cougar.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
How about Navy Blue Metallic from a 98-01 Corvette? That's what I went with. Good luck and oh yeah, you want sikkens paint. - Chad

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Maybe it's total sacrilege but I went with the Steel Blue Metallic from BMW for my '67. I should have some pics after this weekend to post up here. Yep, it's finally getting painted!! w00t!!

Anyway - the BMW colors are pretty sharp looking and might be worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Naaaaaw.... Sacrilege is taking a color from the evil chrysler empire like I did and applying it to your mercury... :)

I painted my 69 XR7 with a couple healthy coats of 1998 Chrysler Radiant Red. Most commonly found on Durango's and Dakota's...

Pretty funny when I roll up on a Durango, they look well... related. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well Logan, it honestly looks better on your xr7 anyway. Newer cars just don't have the body contours to accentuate the subtle nuances of good paint colors.

·
Registered
794 Posts
my favorite is Dupont pepper gray metallic. This is the color I will paint my 67.

On average, what are you guys forking out for a decent paint job?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i got my acrylic laquer for free, i paid 60 for 2 quarts of urethane clear. i got all of the filler and abrasive paper free. i paid 21 for 3 quarts of primer. other stuff added up ( including things i didnt wind up using, such as 60 for a gallon of polyprimer ) uuumm, what else..... a quart of polyester putty 20 ------ a quart of Duraglas 20 ---- , hmmm many cans of spray can primer ( rustoleum TEMPORARY USE ONLY!!! im not that cheap ) ummm, 11 a unit for the classes i took @ 5 units each for 3 semesters ( i didnt get much done at all the 2nd semester, just alignment of the windows and some minor MINOR work. i had another car that took up all that time -- which didnt get done ) but if you factor the awsomeness of financial aid... i paid nothing for my paint and body work :D it worked great for me

·
Registered
406 Posts
My paint job cost 6 grand. - Chad

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks All

well...here it is (hope it works)...found a pic of Ed Hill's 68 xr7-g...too sweet...still leaning toward blk/blk...lol...ty all for the comments....i really dig this site !!...PEACE:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Well..... My.02 I am a little partial to Cardinal Red with the white vinyl.........

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmm, Sikkens eh?? ive never used it but ive heard alot of good about their products. PERSONALLY, i like DuPont Chromabase and Chromaclear. Thats as far as what i like to USE. the problem with it that it cost too damn much. On the Mach1 I will eventually get underway i plan to cross breed products..... i plan to use Maybe some DuPont Nason bascoat ( its CHEAP ok? lol -- and thats if i still want it to be black ) and go with PPG for a clear. i can get a gallon of it for 100 this week.... and i hear that its really good. but i never used it. i hear that it lays out really well and last a long time. so i think ill go with that for now. If i want it to be Pewter i think i might go with PPG for a basecoat as well. I'm thinking about Pewter with maybe a candy wine burgandy inset on the hood. Similar to the Shelby Series 1 color scheme. I think it will look cool. but once again, im not sure and ill probably change my mind a few more times before i actually do it. As far as the Porsche im doing right now?? its getting Nason all the way around ( i only had 300 for materials to work with, so i cant splurge )

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you aren't in a hurry to color sand it then Dupont might be the way to go. You can also go back and color sand it again to 'freshen it up' down the line.
The PPG is also a good choice (it's what I'm working with at the moment) but you need to color sand it no more than 72 hours after shooting it. Also, if the car is a regular driver then PPG is also the way to go. The clear is a bit 'harder' than Dupont - the trade off being it doesn't shine up quite as brightly, or so I was told. Heh.. we'll see about that.

Here's a shot from this weekend - we were still half way through the sanding when this pic was taken, so the finish is really chalky looking: http://www.promachina.com/uploads/car1a.jpg
I should have some finished pics by next weekend

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
cool, my car was shot with Valspar K2 Clear it has good gloss to it and im happy with it as well. the car has never been color sanded and buffed though, so as expected theres a little bit of peel in it. fortunatley, its not bad and i know the base is flat. the main problem is that there is only 2 coats on the car and i dont want any breakthrough. oh well, it doesnt bug me anyway so it stays as is. the jambs were never clear coated though, and that does bug me, i think ill do it in the next few months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Chad, how much body work was involved? I have a moderate amount to be done, and I would like to have the coug painted within a couple years. I want a pearly midnite blue w/ silver blue ghost flames. I just need a place with a garage before I dump all that money in it.
How are you and the Stray Cats doing? I've been so busy I didn't even renew my membership.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts