Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I posted some pics of my cat with some of the parts I've accumulated on eBay recently as well as my new engine.

I've had her for 22 years now. When she actually ran back in the mid to late 80's, she was black. I think I'm going to go back with black but I can't decide on a color for the underside and engine bay. I have been leaning towards some type of silver or gray. Any opinions, suggestions??

What color would you paint the suspension pieces?

After my dad gets his 51 Mercury painted and off the rotisserie, we're taking mine to his bodyshop and getting her ready to spray. My dad has a 51, 54, and a 55 Mercury as well as a 60 Starliner and a 65 Ford stepside pickup (black) with a 460 that just happens to reside in my basement next to the Cougar. Can you tell where I got the bug from? Thanks for any input and thanks to Logan for this wonderful website!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Im not to sure on the color choices, but I would LOVE to see pix of the Starliner. My dad-in-law had one, and Im trying to gather info on them and find him another one, one day.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
found one last year but it wasnt for sale only one i have seen outside of my model i bought. it was in good shape too. and in wisconsin no less.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
rick68- You mentioned silver or gray as possibilities for the underside and engine compartment... I've been wanting to do a Cougar in that dark gray/silver color that Dodge had on their Caravans a few years back... kind of a mildly metallic charcoal. I think that would look SHARP on a Cougar...
I'm sorry, I know you wanted opinions on the underside/engine bay/suspension, but I couldn't bite my tongue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of the same color. I just wasn't sure if it was too dark with the black body color. What I really want is to get this thing in a magazine or two some day because you just don't see a lot of feature articles on Cougars. I've always read that black cars don't make it in magazines a lot, in particular on the cover. I figured if I did the underside and engine bay in a color that will show off all the detail I might have a better chance. Thanks for the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts