Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have almost decided on a color for my Cougar build. I do know for sure that I am going to black out the front and rear chrome (headlights, grill, bumpers, etc). But I am torn between bright electric blue (almost like competition blue) or a very dark blue plum (almost black but not quite) Both with black striping. On the dark color during the day the stripes will show but at night they will be barely visible.
I need opinions or other suggestions. My interior is blue and won't be changed for a while so the car color has to go with it. Though my dash and front seat will be going black within the year so I guess I could be a little mismatched for a while.
Also does anyone here know roughly how much a body shop charges to black out the chrome on our cars? Just wondering because if it is stupidly high I will just do it myself.

Thanks
Shep

Look at this price!!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: i know its off topic, but what the hell is that thing on ebay?? and why so much for it???????????????????????????????

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Never heard of Europe, Canada.

Anyways, that blue plum actually sounds kinda cool, do you have a color sample. It would be nice to see it.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
plum Cougar?? i dunno, maybe. how about a dark brandy wine color?? like a candy. get a black base and shoot a real dark red over that. i think it will look killer. esp with the blacked out grill. id leave the bumpers alone and ( cover your ears Rick ) cut the ribs off the lights and black out the bezels of the lights and the gas door. paint the drip rail moulding body color and black out the windshield chrome too.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
damn me and my ideas, i might actually do that now with my next whenever that comes along project. heres the best part.. i think it will look good on any 67-70 ( yes 70! ) Cougar

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Yeah ok, and flush mount the bumper bolts ( easy to do yourself with proper tools, email me if interested).
Use steel wool or a scothbtite pad on the frames, then a etching primer, then the color, that should work on the frames.

Rick

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dark,
are you talking about painting over chrome bumper? I would think it would take a bit more effort to make paint stick to chrome. (like sandblasting) Did it work for you?

What do you mean flush mount the bumper bolts? Have any pics..

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Craztcat, i was mentioning the scotchbrite for the taillight frames. On the bumber bolts, I've done it before on friends car, but have no pictures.
Grind the head off the bumper bolt so its square, run a nut up the bolt so the head sits flush with the bumper, and tack the bolt in underneath. Grind the chrome around the top hole, and fill in the rest around the ground off head with weld, then grind off the weld, filling again if necessary. tack the underneath bolt all around it. You done one now, finish them all off like that, then take it to a chrome shop or strip the bumper and paint body color.It actually looks very cool if you paint it body color and dont have the bumper bolt heads stickng out. I plan on doing that to my Cougar (but chroming it) so the bolt heads arent showing, just looks cleaner and dont have the problem of rust stains aroung the bolts.
Hope I explained it, I have an old magazine around somewhere that explains it and has pictures, I will try and find it if you like and scan it. But I have over 1000 old magazines so it will take awhile,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think the darker blue would be real nice to see, sounds like you would almost have phantom striping on the car with that color. That would be pretty sweet looking.

Dark, I'd like to see that article as well, I'll e-mail you to get more details, sounds like that would be right up my alley for the resto-mod I'm building.

Sixt9coug, I have a question for you regarding paint, I'll drop you a line about it, hope you can help me out!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ask away man, im no pro, but ill answer what i can. and even if i cant answer it, i know alot of pros who can. i can be long winded when it comes to this subject though, so bear with me :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts