Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 99 Mercury Cougar V6, Five speed tranny.

It does not like to start easily at all when the engine is cold, I normally have to spray some starter fluid into the air intake to get it going. It does not have this problem after I get the engine warmed up and start it again. The battery terminals are pretty heavily corroded and do lose connection from time to time. Would a new battery fix the starting problem or is there another problem that could be causing this? I can't really just afford to purchase a new battery if that isn't the actual problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've cleaned the terminals a few times. Everything is pretty clean. The terminals are a oddly small size to begin with and one of them has a penny wedged between the post and the other piece to make a better connection when I got it. It only seems to do this whenever the engine is cold. I normally have to give it a good three second burst of starter fluid and then try to start it when the engine isn't warmed up.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Stop in at a parts store and have them pull the codes - some may be "pending" and not light the check engine light. (should be free) Sounds like it's not sensing temp/air flow correctly. You could spend a chunk -o-change guessing at sensor A,B,C...but the codes and Google can be your friend. Google it and there may be a well known issue with that same symptom!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts