Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a cold and snowy weekend. About 2" of dry, blowing snow. Left drifts around all my cars and 2' deep in front of the garage door.

Got down to ZERO last night with wind chills at 5-15 degrees BELOW zero.

Cat parked outside overnight (truck being worked on in the garage) in the cold and wind.

Went to start it up this morning and the battery gave up on me (been slowly dying) so I got the battery out of the truck and put it in.

She fired up, coughing, wheezing and shaking her fist (carburator) at me. Finally idled out and it looks like the gasket on the power valve is leaking - go figure.

Drove it in and got the battery replaced, under warrenty. Now I get to go home and pop the carb in the cold and wind - yuck!

Projected high of 18 today!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Here too, about 13 now down to 1 tonight.
Got a foot of snow Saturday night.
Took 4hrs to plow my shop out, about an hr of that was shoveling when I buried my truck.
Seems like every year it takes a little longer to get used to the cold.
When I do I'll get the snowmobile out.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
...Sunny and 76 degrees here.... In So Ca....Whats a snowmoblile ? LOL

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
...Sunny and 76 degrees here.... In So Ca....Whats a snowmoblile ? LOL
Some day I may become a snowbird. But for now I still like doing this.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Michigan kinda chilly too! Had to put a hat on today while I moved the snow out of the drive. Son called me this morning at 4am. Said Dad I need a ride to work I got stuck. Yeah where you at. About fifty feet past the barn in the drive way!!! My 1997 F350 Diesel barely wanted to start, It was 6 degrees without the wind chill. Wind blowing about twenty mile and hour. Truck walked through the drifts just fine. Snow was over the hood of the boys car before he stopped!! I just drove around him and took him to work, then came back and used the fourwheeler to clear the drive. Cat will stay in barn till at least after a good rain to wash the salt off the roads.

·
Registered
292 Posts
harvey:My 1997 F350 Diesel
Love my 97 F350! Cat still at mechanics, snapped rings on #4, Time for a bore or different engine. may just wait till spring now. Please keep your deep snow and very low temps!
Lloyd

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
'97 F-series diesel! Now you're talking my language! I have a '97 F-250HD ext cab shortbed (old body style), with a 460/automatic/4.10 posi rear. Got it brand new in Mar 98 - $29.5k sticker for $20k out the door. They weren't 'dealing' on the diesels! The F-250 has only 90k miles on it now, and only the tailgate has any rust (hasn't seen too many winters). I'd love to find a '97 Diesel ext cab dually.... I want to get a 36-40' enclosed gooseneck car hauling trailer, and a diesel dually would be the perfect tow vehicle for something like that. If either of you guys wants to part with yours... :)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yup the 97 is all truck, course I traded in a 79 with the 460 in it. Had 368 thousand on that 460 and they told me the 7.3 was better?! Actually I got better mileage with the 460 and it never wanted for power or pickup. Started a lot easier too! If they still came with the engine I would buy a new one but for now I will stay with the one I have. Figure I can get another couple hundred thousand miles out of it if the body holds up!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The new 6.7L diesel that ford came out with for the 2010s is supposed to be fantastic - MUCH better than either the 6.0 or 6.4(?). Still, the old 7.3L turbo diesel was downright indestructible! If I was to replace my '97 F-250HD, it'd have to be a diesel, either the 7.3L (still used until 2002) or the new 6.7L.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It was a cold and snowy weekend. About 2" of dry, blowing snow. Left drifts around all my cars and 2' deep in front of the garage door.

Got down to ZERO last night with wind chills at 5-15 degrees BELOW zero.

Cat parked outside overnight (truck being worked on in the garage) in the cold and wind.

Went to start it up this morning and the battery gave up on me (been slowly dying) so I got the battery out of the truck and put it in.

She fired up, coughing, wheezing and shaking her fist (carburator) at me. Finally idled out and it looks like the gasket on the power valve is leaking - go figure.

Drove it in and got the battery replaced, under warrenty. Now I get to go home and pop the carb in the cold and wind - yuck!

Projected high of 18 today!
Man Cougarkid hearing that news makes me want to stay here in Huntsville, AL. But I promised the wife we could move back to KS one day and if everything goes well with my job interview tomorrow we may be back in the midwest by this coming April or May. Just in time to see the last of this winters snow if we're lucky.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My best friend, retired tool maker for GM, and good street rod builder, well he and his wife spend winters in the Tampa area.

He called last night to say they have had just ONE warm day during the past two weeks, and was to get down to 29 last night.

Seems to be cold in lots of spots. BRRRRRRRR.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's freakin cold here this morning in SC, it was 14 degrees at 6:00 am, now at 10:00, it's 17 degrees. Wow

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Wind chills in the negative digits, 40 mph winds, I have a 3-4 foot snow drift across the back of my house and TODAY is the day the daily driver decides to puke the heater core.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Wind chills in the negative digits, 40 mph winds, I have a 3-4 foot snow drift across the back of my house and TODAY is the day the daily driver decides to puke the heater core.
Time to put some snow tires on the Hero.
My old 65 Mustang didn't have any heat, used to drive to work with snowmobile mittens on. The good old days.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Oh, I've driven it in the snow without snow tires. The locker in the rear works really nice.........

........... from one shop door to the other. LMAO!

Been researching the job ahead of me. It seems the heater core was the first part down the assembly line and the entire rest of the car was built AROUND it.

Oh :SNAP:!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Been there before! Sucks the big one 4 sure....why can they not design one with easy access and quick connects?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I was in Detroit, Toledo and Bowling Green yesterday. Made 19F in New Jersey feel balmy.

·
Registered
928 Posts
mspsnow.jpg
36 Inches of snow so fare this year.

I heard on the weather chanel this am that it was warmer in waster ND than Southern Georgia today!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
We just had a tornado touch down 6 miles from the house!

Really rare for Oregon..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts