Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have part #'s for the front coil springs and rear leaf springs on an 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7? The local parts monkeys keep coming up with springs from a Mustang and I think those will be too light.

Ideally, I'd like the progressive type, you know where they start off soft but firm up as they are compressed.

Thanks,

Neal
1968 XR7
1968 M-100 (?)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Springs and things

The front springs on your classic cat will be the same as a Mustang. They're the same car under the skin up there. Remember that there are also a number of different front springs for the 'stangs. Six cyl., small block, big block, performance handling package, ...

Now, at the back end, well.... At least for 71-73s the rear springs are longer than the corresponding Mustangs. The trunk is longer, meaning the rear frame rails are longer, and therefore so are the springs. I'm not a collector of the earlier Cats, so I will not claim to be an expert on them, sorry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a rather lengthly discussion with a guy at a Mustang place regarding rear leafs. It appears that the older Cats have longer springs than the Mustang as well. Some of the Mustang places (found in your favorite car mags) can special order Cat springs for you. I have a set from JC Whit sitting in the garage waiting for me to call them up for duty here shortly.
--MG

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Front springs are the same, but I'm almost positive the rears are longer. Quit messing with the local parts stores and try to find a regular spring shop. If none in your area, check the local truck garages. Alot of them have there own spring shops and also sell any type of leaf spring you need. They will be able to have a better chance of getting the correct spring you need and probably cheaper. The only progressive type springs I'm familiar with are strictly race only springs for stock cars and the Moog cargo coils which I thought were only available for the rear of trucks and station wagons for extra load capacity. mm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Performance Suspension Technology lists coil and leaf springs
for 67 & up Cougars, at least in their online catalog.

Check them out at www.p-s-t.com

·
Registered
163 Posts
Things about springs

The rear leaf springs are indeed longer, by about 5 or 6 inches. I'd replaced mine through Mustangs Plus
(www.mustangsplus.com). Expect to pay a little extra for them compared to their Mustang brethren.

The front springs are indeed interchangable. Here's a little tidbit about them I'd learned recently which may help when deciding which rating to get.
620 - actually are more like 580 or so. Definitely softer and typically stock replacement.
720 - these are closer to true 620, the difference in number having something to do with making it simpler to differentiate between replacement springs depending on handling package rather than actual weight resistance.
750 - are really 750 (at least when dealing with Mustangs Plus). Definitely not daily driver springs unless you like to feel every tiny bump on the pavement. The flip side being that you can take corners like their nothin'.

The 720's are definitely recommended from anyone I've spoken to - I'm waiting for a set at the moment - the 750's were overkill matched with the 302 in my 67. Heh.. I think they settled only about a half inch. Of course, there's always the issue with the 950's in my 68 xr7 - a headache for another day...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have not replaced my stock Front coil springs yet, they seem to set and ride fine. As for my rear leaf's, as mentioned by a person in this thread, I also ordered mine for my 1967 cougar from Mustangs Plus. They were around $300 and they were well worth the money. I bought the 5-leaf springs for drag racing and I wanted a stiff rear, but you can purchase the stadard 4-leaf's and they might be a bit cheaper. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is what my Interchange book saysModel Identification
Cougar Interchange Number
all except GT models 34
GT models 35
without handling package
hardtop 34
convertible 34
with handling package
hardtop 35
convertible 35

terchange Number: 34
Part Number(s): C7WY5560A (either side)
Number of Leaves: 4
Usage: 1967 Cougar (except GT) and 1968 Cougar 390ci two-
barrel, 428ci, and 427ci without handling package
iterchange Number: 35
Part Number(s): C7WY5560B (either side)
Number of Leaves: 4
Usage: 1967 Cougar GT; 1968 Cougar 390ci four-barrel; and 1968 Cougar hardtop 302ci, 390ci, and 428ci with handling package.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts