Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 25 years ago I replaced the original front coils with new 600lb coils. The old ones were sagging and the car was 2-3 inches lower on the drivers side. When I replaced them it leveled out the car and raised the front end a little bit. No complaints. Now as i am going through the car again, recent engine rebuild, new leaf springs and other needed items I again notice the drivers side of the car is lower than the passenger side by about 2 - 3 inches. Could the 25 year old springs be weak again? I don't drive it alot, maybe put 2000 to 3000 miles on it in that time. Any ideas? So if I do replace the springs do I put the performance coils on that West Coast offers (600 lb) with the one inch drop and the polyurethane ends? Do I go back to stock? Should I use the rubber instead of poly? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Questions to consider: Do you plan on wanting performance out of your car for racing abilities or will it be a show car? What stance do you want your car to have? What will raising or lowering the front do to the rim/tire spacing in the wheel wells, the steering geometry, the clearance of the oil pan...ect? If this car is a minimal driver to just shows and nice weekends? If so I wouldn't go over board with the performance end of the spectrum as you'll probably never use it for what it's intentions are. Also, what motor do you have? If you have a 289 or 302 and want clearance, buy the stock coils but with ac if you don't have ac. If you have ac, buy the 390 big block coils and enjoy the clearance. Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
669 Posts
So, like me, you have 25 yr old+ springs. Sure you didn't drive it but the weight of the car sat on them all this time didn't it? Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No plans on racing. I'll take it to some shows and just enjoy driving it. It has a 289 with AC. One reason I originally replaced the coils is they got weak and let the car come down on the wheels. The Cragers I have on it are a little offset and that was a problem. The newer springs(25 year old) raised the car up and also leveled it out. Maybe raised it a little too high as my sig picture shows. Anyway I think I will try West Coasts performance springs and hope for the best. Any ideas on shocks? Thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Khack,

I am replacing the front springs on my coug (69) also.... Have you bought/installed the West Coast springs yet.
My thoughts are also to stay stock, or drop the 1" like you are thinking of.

Anybody have experiences with Progressive resistance springs? The WC springs on Summit says 300-1" of
travel #600-2" etc.. I doubt the stock springs are wound like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sackman,
I did go with the West Coast springs, 600# 1" drop. I think it turned out great and the ride is much better. The ride height is about 26 3/4 which I think is pretty close to the original ride.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sackman,
I did go with the West Coast springs, 600# 1" drop. I think it turned out great and the ride is much better. The ride height is about 26 3/4 which I think is pretty close to the original ride.
i am curious how any of this happens. i have owned my car since 1979, never changed the springs, and it sits just fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my case this was my first car and I have owned it since 1973. When I first bought it I changed the wheels to the Cragers which are a little offset so every bump I hit the front end would come down and the fender openings would scrape the tires. After a few years of driving and now ready to put some money into the car, I was told the coil springs were weak which was why the car sat lower on one side and also scraped the tires. In my effort to over due it I think I went to a stronger spring than I needed and as my picture shows the car sat extremely high but it did fix the problem. Now another 25 years and its time to fix it correctly. With the new springs from West Coast I believe I have finally got it right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts