Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the quickest and safest way of removing coils without renting a spring compressor. I need to remove the spindles from the torino for the disk brakes.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
compress the springs if you can with a jack the wrap chain and lock it it works kinda i dont recomend it rick but i did it when i didnt have spring compressors. just make sure it is locked good. and when i was really poor i used safety wire and wrapped it ALLOT! but i dont recomend either but if ya gots to you gots to.

·
11,000 Posts
You can buy an internal spring compressor for around $14 US. Isn't your life worth that much? Those things are deadly, don't screw around.

http://www.harborfreight.com

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
A chain?!? Safety wire?!?!? :eek2: Holy crap. I get all nervous using a HD spring compressor!
You only need to see one come loose once to gain respect for how much energy is stored there!

Rick, I will mail you mine if need be - don't mess around with this one!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Bob like i said i dont recomend it but hey I was young dumb and well you know the rest but it did work and knowing ricks finacial woes i thought since he may not be able to rent them he may not be able to buy a set. Rick if you do get the ones from harbour freight use allot of aniti sieze on those babys otherwise they will be good for maybe one time use like my first set.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
It is amazing how much we got away with when we were younger. I look back at some of those things now and cringe!

·
11,000 Posts
I bought the one from Harbor Freight about 5 years ago, have used it a dozen times since. It is well made and shows no sign of stress. I use a 1/2" air impact to run it up and down, makes fast work of compressing the springs.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx. I dont like the chain idea, just was looking for a safer way to lock the upper control arm. I will get a spring compressor, thanx alot.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
bob tell me about it i remember taking trannys onto my chest and bench pressing them into place then have my little brother put in the bolts all this mind you with the car on cinder blocks.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I thought "Jack Stand" was the guy that invented cinder blocks. :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Heh, I remember R&Ring an NP205 transfer case in a '77 F250 with a 6" lift using a floor jack and a piece of 4x4 lumber. Boy that was dumb...not to mention HEAVY. I'm almost glad I can't afford to go four-wheeling anymore.

I would definitely go with the spring compressor. Chances like that aren't worth taking. Your odds really suck.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Oh also i might mention i still always chain my spring even with the compressors, buddy of mine had one give way and the chain saved him a lobotomy. keep in mind they are made in china after all and they may not have the best quality assurance division.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If its a car I'm parting or if I dont want to save the springs I just take a torch and cut them a couple times. Thats the quickest and safest yet. mm

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The tool

I have used a compressor made by Brannick Industries out of the Dakotas. Works like a champ, but it's not perfect.
I found a distributor in Calif who sells it for $100 MSRP $264 Takes 1/4 of the time as the 4 hook internal units do. Much safer and the bolt is at the top thru the shock hole, so you can compress it easliy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i dont believe that the coils need to come out just to get the spindles ......unless you want the upper control arms as well.....just lift the car and unbolt her??...len

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Dis connecting the lower control arm allows the upper control arm to travel down beyond the point where the spring perch, which is a seat - not a retainer, and the shock (if theyare in) can hold the spring. It is possible to put some sort of block between the upper arm and the frame, but that is only temporary. I saw a spring come loose while a mechanic was replacing the lower ball joint in a 68 Mustang. The piece of wood he used to hold the arm up compressed, the shock either broke or couldn't hold the spring, and BANG one spring in wall. Luckily he wasn't working on that side of the car at the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts