Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I was talking with my brother this week about the 69 R Code Eliminator he had awhile back. My uncle was the second owner and bought the cougar in 73 all original. But there are some things on this coug that I hadnt seen around here yet. He showed me some pics of the car when he bought it from my uncle in 85. It had some Cobrajet emblems on the hood scoop.

Was this ever on our 428 CJ cars with hood scoops?

Also it had some white 428 sticker on the front lower fenders down by the rocker molding.

Was this an option on our cars?

Just thought i would ask. From what history my uncle and brother know of the cougar it was original and was never altered.

Thanks Tad.

·
11,000 Posts
The chrome Cobra Jet emblem never appeared from the factory on a Cougar.

The 428 sticker on the fender is also an add on.

Many owners of these cars have added the same thing. Look at Pinkerton driving his GTE on "My Classsic Car" TV show, he added a Cobra Jet emblem to the console!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
well, you cant have those on if your doing it right, so you might as well send them to me :)

Rick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tad,
The emblem on the hood scoop is not original but the "428" fender decals are. I talked to several original owners of '69 428 Eliminators and they all said they were on the car when they bought it. Also boss 302 eliminators had "302" decals as well. Only in 1969. One 428 owner also told me bought his off the showroom floor and it had the hood decal ,but he was the only one I found that had this so I suspect it may have been dealer added. I contacted a lot of people about this before I put them on my car to make sure they belonged on there.

Barry

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Barry in your research what package was this part of. The decal package or a 428 package ?????

Did anyone else with CJ cats non-eliminator report these as well or only elim owners?

Also do you have a pic of you cat with these on. I would love to see what they look like on a Yellow Elim.

Thanks
Tad.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
That CobraJet script is neat... the fact that the "Cobra" part of it is in the same "font" as the Cougar scripting kinda makes me want to make a
CougarJet
hybrid.... call me crazy.... then I have to build a drivetrain worthy of the name of course...
While I love the Cobra and the power and viciousness that the name conveys, I've tended to dissociate myself from most things Mustang... has anyone else had feelings like this? I mean, Mustangs are still our (little) brothers, but I tend to shy away from the mainstream.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The fender decal was only put on the 428 and 302 Eliminator cars. Wasn't listed as any package. The Marti report shows nothing about it. At first I wasn't too keen about the decal as it looks pretty plain but after I put them on it really does look good. Got mine from John's for around $20. It includes a paper that gives you the right location on where to put them. They come in black or white; whichever you need. I don't have any way to post pictures. The ones I put on here a long time ago were taken by a friend at a show and e-mailed to me.Hoping to get a digital camera from Santa. If I do I'll send you some updated photos.

Barry

·
11,000 Posts
Barry,
Provide any sort of documentation for what you are saying. The decals John sells are sold because they are popular, not because it happened in 1969. I have a tremendous amount of original literature on '69's including Eliminators. Are you trying to tell me that every magazine test car was missing its decals in 1969? One would also think that such a decal would be listed in the part catalog like the hood stripe decal and Eliminator side stripe decals are. I was pretty interested in Eliminators when they were new and sure don't remember any such thing in the ones sold in Dalllas.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Royce
Over on the Classic cougar yahoo list Jim Stangner at one time said his CJ eliminator had them new. I'm no expert on them but Jim is an original owner so I take what he said as good. I think I remember seeing 428 decals on some around here a long time ago. We will get to the bottem of this some how.

·
11,000 Posts
The 428 emblems are shown in the Master Parts catalog on 428CJ Cyclones for 1969. By the way, the 1969 TV commercials don't show them either.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Janet's Boss 302 Eliminator doesn't have Boss 302 decals on it. On their web page it's discribed as an "original and unrestored."
http://hometown.aol.com/c9wboss302

greggie, the AC Cobra was around before the Mustang, and was used prominently in Torino/Fairlane Cobras, among others. I don't consider it a Mustang 'thing' at all.

I added a chrome Cobra snake to the dash next to the clock, it was a stick-on and I have another passenger dash panel.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmm.. i have a VIN decoder kind of book here that shows a 69 with some kind of fender emblem. its near back of the fender near the bottom between the wheel opening and door. is this what you are talking about? it appears to be a photo of a car in a showroom brand new. could that be it? i can take a picture of the photo itself ( no scanner ) and post it... never seen an emblem there though.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ok heres the shot.. yeah its a big pic.. but ummm.... the old guys on here will be able to see it easier lol

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
sometimes you've just got to advertise

Tad - I got sick of everyone asking me what I had under the hood of the 70 (and I guess I'm a little vain given it is a 428) so I added the 428 Cobrajet Badges from Shelby

·
Registered
114 Posts
sixt9coug, that looks like it could be the emblem on a 390 car. I have an article from the June 1969 issue of Hot Rod. The article is on the 2 speed rear end. One of the pictures in the article is of a 1969 428 Eliminator. The picture is fuzzy but you can tell that there is white lettering right behind the front tire on the fender. I also have an article from the Sept. 1969 Road Test Magazine. It is a road test of the Boss 302 Eliminator and in one of the pictures you can see black lettering on the fender right behind the front tire.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you know what... i have that issue too...

edit.. i have the January issue and i didnt see any emblems on it BUT it also shows the car with non blacked out taillights and a regular gas door? ok im confused now....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts