Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My m code 69 convertible is currently up on blocks getting a total underside restoration. Besides the new front and rear suspension and brakes, I plan on coating or painting it for show correctness. Currently, at least part of it seems to be painted body color while some places have factory undercoating. There is some surface rust but no holes or rot. If I paint it black or undercoat the underside, will I be penalized at shows? What did you do?

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Jim,
It all depends on the judging Street Stock or Concourse.
I doubt you are doing a Concourse restoration
In the CCOA rules there is no mention of paint under the car for Street Stock. I have never heard of anybody being dinged points for "restoring" the belly of the car.
Having said this if you have a "Concourse" car here is what must be done:
Non-undercoated cars—undercarriage primer either red oxide, green oxide, dark gray or black. Sound deadener sprayed in tunnel, feathering towards rockers. Rear wheel housing blacked out (body color overspray acceptable). Front fender, topside & splash guards may be blacked out. Inner fenders, wheel-side, could show blending of body color, primer or engine compartment color with sound deadener overspray. Lower pinch welds painted black. Conv. plate black or natural (must be undercoated if car is undercoated).

I am currently restoring the engine compartment and floorpans I am painting everything with semi-gloss black rustoleum.
I have done the rear end before I had dual exhaust installed and it looks so cherry.
CCOA Judging Guidelines

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, xr7gt, I am not planning to show in Concourse classes. I plan on driving this car a bit and having fun with it. I also do plan on showing it when possible. Florida is a very active state and has numerous shows year round.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I subscribed to this thread and am very interested in what everyone has to say. My currently is on stands without any rear suspension parts on it (all bieng powedercoated), no fuel tank, no fuel or brake lines/cables, no power train at all. I POR15'd the complete underside and inside the trunk. I have painted it with Rustoleum Flat black. I like the looks, but I dont know about shows either. I plan on showing it heavily in my area and am going to try to hit some others as well. I dont think its concourse material but I dont know. I'm doing it to the best of my ability. Its not original though (I swapped to vacuum discs on the front from a 68, engine bay is chromed/polished aluminum, engine is all polished). I am re-doing all the stickers, wiring harness, and fuel/brakes lines, wire clips, hoses, pretty much everything is going to be either original or 'nicely' upgraded. My thoughts are I want to show it but, its my car! What do you guys think? Give me some input. Sorry XRcist, I'm not trying to steal your thread, I think you may be wondering about some of the same questions though...
Scott

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem, Scott. Isn't that what these threads are for, to generate discussion? I feel the same as you on the subject.

Jim

·
Registered
763 Posts
i dig concour restorations...

Edited by Logan: Pic removed for size... Post it to the galleries...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'd like to do that kind of stuff to mine too, but where do you find out what colors and what markings go where??? I have no clue! 36 yrs of grime, old undercoating, and rust removes most markings!
Scott

·
Banned
52 Posts
Logan
Sorry to post here , but couldn't help but notice , what a pain it is too have to scroll back and forth to read these messages .... word wrap would be nice !

Mike

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Word wrap is on. The picture width is upsetting the thread. No way to wrap the picture! :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sorry guys, I was shocked when i saw that picture appear, if i only knew this before, it is my fault. once again;sorry. Ask a moderator to remove it. The people can always check "my gallery"

ITOW, you can find some color-codes on the build sheet.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
On the colors I didnt mean the main body and underside color. I meant the colors of individual smaller things, and where all the paint markings are to be and what colors they should be. Are there books on this sorta stuff? Or web sites???? Where do you find it, you know like the color for the rearend carrier assy and the # 12 on there. How do I know where and what to do?
Ima cornfusseded.......
Scott

·
Registered
763 Posts
It took me allot of time to find these info's, i found a small book about detailing your car. ('65-'73 detailing reference guide)
Just for an example; the number "31" (found on the inner fender) is the number of the factory line.
The two stripes on the front springs can be found on the build sheet, (if yours is still intact)
The yellow marks onthe steering linkage means "powersteering" pink means "manual steering"
Yes it is very confusing, but read allot of magazines and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.
There are some Mustang montly magazine telling about Cougar detailing also.
have you seen my gallery?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Looked at your pics. Awesome car, I love the detail.
Here's my deal with all the questions. I bought a 67 STD in October from the original owner that had very, very little rust and was virtually untouched (still had everything original including hubcaps and radio) except for a shabby paint job about 5yrs ago. It had everything original except for regular maintenence items. I originally was going to just fix the brakes and have it as a driver for now, but long story short its currently a shell in restoration! I'm having the time of my life doing it and my goal isn't necessarily concours restoration (yet) cause the engine is all polised alum. and chrome with chrome monte carlo bar and export brace. I love detail though. I am doing everything as close to original as I possibly can (wiring, vacuum lines, suspension, brake clips and lines) but adding a 'nicer' touch. This way if I ever do decide to go concours it will be easy to do (all the hard tedious parts will be done)... Make sense?

·
Registered
763 Posts
It sure make sense. Goodluck with it, and as you know, we like pictures.
Have you contacted Osborne reproduction? They have aslo books were you can find detailing engine bay etc.
I have an old mail here recieved 98 when i asked the same question. this was what they told me:
I was forwarded your E-Mail from Phil Parcells regarding your Undercarriage. The Floor Pans on these cars were originally painted with
either a Red Oxide, Gray, or Black Primer. When they painted the car, the
Body color was painted onto the underside of the Floor Pans. This was nothing more than overspray, when they painted the Rocker Panels and lower pinch weld. Next, on light colored cars, they painted this lower pinch weld Black, which now put Black overspray on top of the Body color overspray (not really a pretty sight). Next, they sprayed Sound Deadener (Undercoating) in the Driveshaft Tunnel, and on the bottom of the Floor Pans, stopping about 8 to 10 inches from the outside of the car. The Emergency Brake Cable was on the car when this was sprayed, which left a distinct line on the Floor Pan, where the Sound Deadener hit the Emergency Brake Cable and not the Floor Pan. Every car I have worked on has had varying amounts of overspray, Sound Deadener, etc., etc. It all depends on what day and shift the car was built. I hope this
gets you started.

This was what you wanted to know right?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yes! You dont happen to know that Phil Parcells E-mail do you??? I dont want to bug him top death or anything just ask him a few quick questions... Thanks for all your help man!
Scott

·
Registered
763 Posts
ITOW, you've got mail

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey thanks man!
Scott

·
Registered
174 Posts
It took me allot of time to find these info's, i found a small book about detailing your car. ('65-'73 detailing reference guide)
Just for an example; the number "31" (found on the inner fender) is the number of the factory line.
The two stripes on the front springs can be found on the build sheet, (if yours is still intact)
The yellow marks onthe steering linkage means "powersteering" pink means "manual steering"
Yes it is very confusing, but read allot of magazines and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.
There are some Mustang montly magazine telling about Cougar detailing also.
have you seen my gallery?

is that the actual name of the book? id like to see that, i have lots of marks etc, but just want to repaint a couple things and may as well do right for example
68 with ac, the fan clutch shaft, with the four holes that mounts to the water pump is that natural, black, ? does that book show that sort of thing?
thanks
also, how do i see pictures of your car? (gallery you mentioned)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
You might get a reply, but this post is over 7 years old.

·
Registered
763 Posts
is that the actual name of the book? id like to see that, i have lots of marks etc, but just want to repaint a couple things and may as well do right for example
68 with ac, the fan clutch shaft, with the four holes that mounts to the water pump is that natural, black, ? does that book show that sort of thing?
thanks
also, how do i see pictures of your car? (gallery you mentioned)
Yes this post is old, but if you want pictures, just ask me wich ones, and i PM them to you.
The business name is osbourne reproduction, name of the book? don´t know, i borrowed who knows when, and offcourse my car is detailed by now. The car is even for sale...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts