Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the 67 to work today. I have a t5z, cable clutch, 351C combo. I have about 80 miles of driving on it since replacing the trans. About 10 miles from home I slowed to make a turn and when releasing the clutch I get a horrible rattle/grinding noise while releasing the pedal. I put the car on stands when I got home and had my wife push the clutch in and out while the motor was running and trans in neutral. On the way in there is no noise but when releasing it rattles/grinds. What should I be looking for. The cable seems to be adjusted fine and in gear driving it makes no noise.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My guess would be, throwout bearing problem, or arm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tightened up the clutch cable last night which seemed to help. It still has a little rattle though.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hate to say it B - but it sounds like it's gonna have to come back out....what kind of shape was your throwout bearing in when you had it out then..? Can you snake one of those inspection cameras in and look around I wonder..?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Throwout bearing has less than 10 thousand miles on it and looked like new. I drove around tonight with no noise and the clutch feels good. I wonder if i just didnt have enough preload on the to bearing to start out with.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah that could be - it's easy to get paranoid after major surgery though! Probably good to have a bit of paranoia too! LOL

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah ill just have to put some miles on and see. This was my first manual trans and clutch swap so im learning still lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
make sure you have free play when pedal is up, should have about a inch of pedal travel before you feel the clutch start to disengage, so the throwout bearing isn't touching the pressure plate fingers, also when the clutch is disengaged is when your pilot bearing comes into play. Any trouble shifting?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Remember, he's using a T5 and cable drive for the clutch. He may have been given a "constant contact" self centering T/O bearing which should have contact all the time....or at least can tolerate it. I would check with whomever you got your parts from to get their recommendation for adjusting free play, if any. My guess would be be that you adjust like a late model with cable... There should be no rattling or grinding! Just tire squeal!

One other thing..... did you install a pilot bearing in the back of the crank???? Needle Bearing or regular bronze type??? We've gone thru 2 bronze bushings in short order on our 68 with a T-5. Lots of shaking and badness but when you let the clutch out when taking off...sort of opposite of you. We cured this with a needle bearing type pilot bearing. Rumor has it that the T-5 input shafts need the needle bearings for some unknown reason. I ran for years with a toploader and never needed to replace the pilot bearing. But the T-5 took every bronze one out since.....have one in the truck and one on the bench....souvenirs!

Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I melted my old cable against the headers. Just put a new and longer one from a 96 to 04 mustang. I adjusted it for almost zero free play and its working great. I belive the pilot baring was the needle bearing type

1 - 12 of 12 Posts