Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local parts store has a brand, (sac?) for a pretty good price. Both a stock replacement, and a 'performance' option. Does a street car really need a dual friction unit? For a car that isn't going racing every weekend, what do you think?
Do I need Hay's or McLeod "Hi-Performance"?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Personally I like the feel and driveability of the McLeod over any other clutch I've been able to get my foot on to date. They have a really nice light pedal feel. I've got the McLeod RXT in my Cobra and it's a twin disc setup and it is mostly driven on the street but also meant to be driven extremely hard at the track as they can take a really good **** kicking. Depends on budget but also you get what you pay for in the long run.

I've gone through a couple clutches thus far so I'm hoping this one lasts the longest out of the bunch. Do you plan on doing lots of burnouts, dumping the clutch at high RPM's, powershifting, running a sticky tire at the track? If so, definitely go for a McLeod or equivalent.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If you are going to get spirited every now and then - the piece of mind knowing that it's going to hold up is worth the extra IMO. We have used both Hayes and Mcleods over the years with very good results on cars that were street/strip driven. I have burned up a stock clutch before - I'm not a fan of crawling around under a car trying to get the trans lined up. Once and done is the only way to go.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, a few sharp gear changes, considering the engine build, but nothing like what would have happened when I was 17! I'll look at the one that comes in, and see what I can see. There are a few options in the 200 dollar range, and the FMX is still in the car....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts