Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
67 Posi Plates

Do you have a Traction-Loc or the old, old equal-loc? Traction loc parts are still available from Ford or any rear end shop. Equal loc parts have been obsolete for years.

Try Currie Enterprises for rear end parts if nothing else. They advertise in just about every car enthusiast magazine out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry,I forgot to mention

It's the old Equa lock.
I've been told by every potential supplier (including Ford) that I've contacted,that the Equalock is a VERY rare item.I'm considering selling it on Ebay to finance an aftermarket 8 inch carrier but I don't know what the old equalock is worth.What good is a very rare carrier that you can't get plates for?

Do you have any ideas on the value of the old equalock?
Should I hold on to it and wait for the aftermarket to make new plates?
Or should I breakdown and buy a new carrier?
What would you do?
This is the first Cougar I've ever owned and I'm trying to keep it as original as possible,but it's been very frustrating.

Thanks for the reply,Cougrrcj.I'll give Currie Enterprises a call.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Equal-loc plates

You had better forget ever finding plates for the obsolete equal-loc. I have one as well, but if you need a boat anchor, use it! Get yourself a traction-loc.

Of course, 8" traction locs are relatively hard to find. You can try looking at Mustang IIs, Mavericks, Comets and early Mustangs with V-8s in a junkyard you're on good terms with. Or you can just try calling around to junkyards for 8" posi's, but you'll end up paying through the nose.

I can get all of the 9" posi's they have at my local junkyard for just $75 each, complete drum to drum, but they're usually out of full size LTDs or trucks or vans. In reality, I'm just getting the center sections, but I'm not gonna tell them that the 'rear-end' I want out of that particular vehicle is a posi! Then again, there aren't too many vehicles with 8" or 9" posi's coming into junkyards these days! Also, F-100s/150s or Econolines are a good source for 3.70 gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts