Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my thermal clutch 2 inches from my radiator. Should I get it to 1 inch? I do have a shroud as well. The clutch and fan are on my built 347 with a 180° thermostat. Can anyone help me or give me some better cooling advice? Or is this good? An electric fan is out of the question for the time being because I have a 65A alternator and don't have extra cash for a 3G. IMG_20150701_220400.jpg IMG_20150701_220400.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
The distance from the clutch to the radiator is irrelevant. You need to position the clutch/fan so that half of the fan is in the shroud, likewise the other half is outside the shroud lip. If there is excessive air leakage around the radiator to shroud, you can place foam gasket material to button up the gap. I also highly recommend you run an overflow bottle.

Coach Jack

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
There are two types of fan clutch, thermal and non thermal. Your car should be using the thermal type. There are different versions of the thermal clutch. The standard duty will spin the fan at about 65% of the shaft speed when engaged. The heavy duty will spin it at about 80% of shaft speed and also work with a deeper pitch blade. This is what your car came with. There are also severe duty and truck versions that will turn the balde a bit faster. The big aluminum casting on the front is a heat sink. It is intended to absorb heat from the radiator. The more sever duty fans will have more fins and greater area for heat absorption. THe air coming out of the radiator is pretty hot so it is not critical to place the fan clutch extremely close but it is a consideration. In particular if you don't have a shroud and the fan is well back from the radiator, then you may have an issue. I have seen instances where the radiator was so plugged up it didn't get hot enough to make the fan clutch lock up even though the engine was overheating. This is system and the weak link will get you every time.

Fan Clutch Operation & Troubleshooting

1 - 3 of 3 Posts