Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of re-installing the dash in my '69 Eliminator. All was going smoothly until I attempted to reconnect the clock.
There are two quick-connect plugs on the clock wiring harness. One has two prongs, the other three. When I plug in the three-prong connector, the clock runs and everything is cool. When I plug in the two-prong connector, it immediately blows a fuse, killing the clock and the interior lights.
I can't recall whether the two-prong plug was connected when I pulled the dash, but I honestly don't remember disconnecting it. I didn't do anything to the clock while it was out except change the lens, and I don't think that would cause an electrical short.
I have shop manuals and a wiring diagram book, but naturally they're packed away, and I can't get to them right now.
The three-prong plug appears to contain clock power, power to the lights and a ground, so I'm not even sure what the second, two-prong plug is for.
Can anyone tell me what's up with the two-prong plug? Where it goes and what its purpose is?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jay,

Can't tell you exactly what the two-prong connector is for, but I can tell you that there are two, two-prong connectors on the harness in that area, you plugged into the wrong one. Think the other is for the door switch? In any case, if you poke around a bit, you should find another two-prong to plug into (which will not blow the fuse!). Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob.
When I read your post, I thought that's exactly the sort of mistake I'd make trying to finish up a project when I'm tired, and working in less than ideal lighting conditions.
Went back in the light of day and carefully inspected the passenger side wiring harness, but didn't find another likely plug for the clock wiring. There is another unused two-prong plug, but its so low and far to the RH side of the dash that the clock harness can't reach it. Otherwise, I found an unused single wire bullet-type connector (female) and a pair of unused single-wire "square" connectors that take flat, spade-style lugs. None of those seem to go with the clock wiring. FWIW, neither the clock nor the dash wiring harnesses appear to have been monkeyed with.
The two prong connector in the clock harness has three wires coming out the back of it. Two black and one green/yellow, if that helps.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! PM sent.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received Harry's wiring diagram, and sure enough, the two-prong connector coming from the clock is labeled "not used." Looks like the "extra" two-prong connector in my dash harness is for the XR-7 map light, which my Eliminator does not have. Mystery solved, or so it seems.
If anyone knows for sure different, please chime in, but otherwise its going back together with just the three-wire plugs connected.
Thanks again for the assistance.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Fair enough Jay, alls well that ends well! Maybe the map light was what I was remembering then. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but at my age CRS (Can't Remember Sh!t) is beginning to creep up on me!

·
Registered
980 Posts
On my 70 XR7 the two prong does go to the map light above the glovebox (bottom side of the dash), and the three prong, plugs into the clock. The map light is controled by a toggle on the dash.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To update, I put everything together last night, with just the three-prong connectors hooked up. Clock runs (sort of), lights work as they should, no blown fuses. Annoying thing is that the second hand of the clock is running perfectly, but the minute and hour hands don't move. There's absolutely no interference with the new lens or pointer, and the hands move normally when the setting knob is turned. FWIW, its an old quartz movement that was put in back in the Eighties. Maybe just worn out, I feel confident its not the wiring. Whatever the problem is, I know that I'm not looking forward to pulling out the dash, again, to deal with it. On the plus side, it does look great with the new lens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts