Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the ford-rookie I am I've heard and read alot of talk about Windsor and Cleveland. Can anyone give me the basics. whats the difference between them pro's and con's etc.
And is it just the 351 thats W or C or other sizes also?

Tell me more! :)

·
11,000 Posts
351 Windsor andCleveland

The Windsor (W) and Cleveland (C) designations are only for the 351 engine size.

Basics:
351W introduced in 1969 and still in production to this day.
Wedge combustion chamber (like small block Chevy)
Lots of good aftermarket parts available. Inexpensive aftermarket cylinder heads are available and provide serious power increase.
Easiest Ford engine to get lots of power from cheaply.
Constant development for 32 years by Fomoco and the aftermarket.

351C introduced in 1970 and discontinued in 1974.
Made for a few years afterward in Australia.
Canted Valve combustion chamber (like a mniature Big Block Chevy).
Poor selection of aftermarket parts.
Block design poor, very hard to find a usable core.
Was dominant in NHRA classes in the 1970's.
Head design basics are used in current Ford ("Yates") Nascar engines, however those parts are very expensive and not interchangeable with production engines.
Expensive to modify, hard to find machinists who know how to work on one.
Only engine available in 1972 - 1973 Cougars.

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, so if you open the hood and look at engine, is it obvious what you have? I was told the W had narrow valve cover, and the C had wide covers..
Willie

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
One of the easiest ways to identify the different motors is via where the water inlet enters the engine. On a windsor, the upper rad hose enters the intake, on a cleveland it enters the block, in front of the intake.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
If anyone is interested i have found about ten or twelve Clevland 2V motors in a wrecking yard here in california if your looking for a good core they may be your ticket. the place is out of business but i have a good repor with the guy so i may be able to get them cheap if anyone is interested course its a pickup deal since were talking engines which are just way to porblematic to ship. just FYI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts