Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
70 Cougar 351C 4 barrel with 4 wheel disks custom interior getting new paint mild cam AOD trans
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 Cougar with a 351 Cleveland 4V a ,added AOD overdrive transmission and a 3.70 gear
Would like a recommendation for a roller cam for street and performance driving
Would like good sound and rpm I have closed chamber heads and have coming a set of adjustable roller rockers.
Any advice?

· Registered
92 Posts
A Comp Magnum 284HR would go well with that although I’m more inclined to get a custom cam. Do you have a wide ratio gearset in the AOD? Or a higher stall speed? In which case I’d go for something bigger. If you do get a Comp, make sure to specify a -9 steel core

· Premium Member
70 Cougar 351C 4 barrel with 4 wheel disks custom interior getting new paint mild cam AOD trans
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Comp coming in May takes that long don’t know what AOD I have and don’t want to slow down my looong paint job to look I want a 2800 to 3000 stall but think I need to know what trans I have to order the converter I think that I have found that there are different splines on the lock up shaft. I went with a split cam spec less duration on the intake than on the exhaust it’s similar to the Comp thumper but not built just for sound although the way the thumper works is similar to what a 4 v Cleveland needs . A way to get more exhaust out I am a little messed up with that because I don’t have headers and have not found any that are any better than my manifolds because I have a trick front suspension that I love but it’s a rack and pinion that handles great but doesn’t really work well with headers . If anybody knows of any that would work please let me know.

i see that you have a Ruby paint on your Mustang I am having a modified 3 stage based on Soul Red with pearl look on Mazdas 23 soul red color on the web and you can get a idea

I also have a strange question my cat had a 8 inch rear with disks and it was a 351 4v Cleveland when new according to my Marty report I think someone swapped out the rear end complete for the discs but I changed to a Currie disk to disk 9 inch but did they put 8 inch rears behind 4V Cleveland’s with C-6 transmissions

· Super Moderator
11,036 Posts
I have a Comp coming in May takes that long don’t know what AOD I have and don’t want to slow down my looong paint job to look I want a 2800 to 3000 stall but think I need to know what trans I have to order the converter I think that I have found that there are different splines on the lock up shaft. I went with a split cam spec less duration on the intake than on the exhaust it’s similar to the Comp thumper but not built just for sound although the way the thumper works is similar to what a 4 v Cleveland needs . A way to get more exhaust out I am a little messed up with that because I don’t have headers and have not found any that are any better than my manifolds because I have a trick front suspension that I love but it’s a rack and pinion that handles great but doesn’t really work well with headers . If anybody knows of any that would work please let me know.

i see that you have a Ruby paint on your Mustang I am having a modified 3 stage based on Soul Red with pearl look on Mazdas 23 soul red color on the web and you can get a idea

I also have a strange question my cat had a 8 inch rear with disks and it was a 351 4v Cleveland when new according to my Marty report I think someone swapped out the rear end complete for the discs but I changed to a Currie disk to disk 9 inch but did they put 8 inch rears behind 4V Cleveland’s with C-6 transmissions
No they did not. All 1969 Cougars came with the Ford 9" rear axle.

Reactions: FIXR7

· Registered
92 Posts
Ok what specs on the Comp cam?
For your converter and rear end gears you need to know Cam specs, vehicle weight and tyre diameter. So, at this point, since you already have a cam coming it will dictate whatever else you get.
A common trick with the AOD is to use a 4R70w gearset which gives you a wider 1st and 2nd gear spread. (2.84 vs 2.40 1st gear). Assuming your AOD was beefed up(it will need to be for anything over stock) it would be helpful to know if 4R guts were used?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts